15 | en avant

1 5

e n a v a n t

to the front

For some reason Isabella has always been the one who boys are interested in. Whenever we lived in Maine it seemed like most boys were after Isabella and no one really looked at me. I didn't think any of it back then since most of the time I was busy dancing, but now that I'm older I can't shake the thought out of my head. It's not that my sister is ugly or something, I just find it weird how boys of all ages went after her like she was the prettiest girl on Earth. She's still so young and naive and seeing all of these boys around her, I can't help but feel a little bit protective.

Sure, I've had boys chasing after me but it doesn't even come close to what Isabella is going through. Every like six or so months a guy shows interest in me and then just kind of disappears from my life, but then there's Isabella who has guys chasing after her all the time. Literally at some points she'll have like five different guys talking to her and she won't be able to choose between them. It's really strange and I honestly think she has like a weird magnet inside of her that drags all the boys to her.

So, when Isabella came to me for advice with boys, I was sort of taken aback.

Not that I don't want to help my sister or anything, it just felt strange.

"Hazel, do you have a second?" Isabella asks. She pushes the door of my bedroom open and slowly enters as I advert my gaze from the Chemistry homework I was doing. We have a Chemistry midterm coming up soon and I'd rather start studying for it early and remember all of the important details than wait until last minute and then pull like 14 all-nighters to cram all of the information into my head.

"Yeah, what is it?"

Isabella walks to my bed and sits down, grabbing a blanket from my bed and wrapping it around her shoulders. "I think I'm falling for a guy," she whispers.

"And?"

"I don't think he reciprocates the feelings," she quietly admits. "I mean I haven't talked to him that much but I have a feeling that he isn't interested in me at all."

"And why do you think that?" I pull my legs closer to my body, resting them on the edge of my chair.

Isabella shrugs. "He just seems to distant and uninterested in me."

"Who is the guy anyway?" I ask.

"It's Graham."

"Wait, you're crushing on Graham? The same Graham who is a senior like me?"

Isabella rolls her eyes at me. "Do you know any other Grahams in this town?"

"Well, no," I chuckle.

"Then I'm obviously talking about Graham who's a senior like you."

I furrow my eyebrows. How can Isabella be interested in Graham? I've never even seen them in the same room together, let alone talking. And wasn't she interested in Sven like a month or two ago?

"What happened to Sven? Weren't you interested in him?"

"Yeah, I was," Isabella laughs. "But it's obvious he doesn't care about my feelings for him, plus he's in New York and I doubt the whole long distance thing would work between us. And he's like 3 or more years older than me so technically it's illegal."

"You know that when Graham turns 18, if he isn't 18 already, it would be illegal too?"

"Yeah, but I'll be 18 in like 3 years and then everything will be fine."