39 | glissade

3 9

g l i s s a d e

Slide or glide

"I'm so nervous, oh my god." Imogen babbles for what seems like the tenth time. She's pacing back and forth in the room, chewing on the edges of her nails, looking like she's completely lost it.

Saskia inhales sharply as she throws another glare at the Korean girl in front of us. She then proceeds to tug on my hair as she's attempting to curl it perfectly. "Calm your flaps, okay," Saskia fires at her. "It's just prom night. It's not like you're being elected as the president right now."

"I don't know why I'm so nervous," Imogen explains. "I know it's just prom but I have this weird feeling in my stomach and my gut is always right when it comes to situations like this."

"That gut feeling you have is hunger. You ate a banana last night and that's it. You haven't touched a piece of food all day today so you don't have a special gut feeling. Your stomach is just empty, so go eat while I finish Hazel's hair and you can do her makeup once you've calmed down."

Imogen exhales, shaking her hands in the process, almost like she's trying to get rid of all the negative energy in her body. "Alright. I'm going." She leaves the room as I watch her head bob downstairs.

Saskia giggles. "She's a ball of nervousness."

"Yeah." I chuckle-short, playing with my fingers a bit. "I guess you could say that about me as well."

"Why are you nervous?" Saskia looks at me with a confused expression. "You're not going to prom and seeing your ex-boyfriend with another girl. You're going to prom with your special someone. You should be excited about that."

Saskia is right. I should be happy that I'm going to prom with Rosen, but there's one little thing nagging at the back of my mind. Isn't prom night supposed to be all romantic and stuff? I'm scared that once I'm back home, Rosen will try to take our relationship a step further and I don't know if I'm ready for that.

"Isn't prom night the night when couples, you know, have sex?" I ask Saskia, making her stare at me with wide eyes. She purses her lips, not really saying anything, which already answers the question for me. "Okay, I got my answer."

"No, it's not that," Saskia mumbles. "It's all personal preference really, but some couples do have sex for the first time during prom night when an opportunity like that comes up. I'm not saying that everyone does it and you definitely don't have to do anything with Rosen if you're not ready."

I frown. "How do I know that I'm ready? I love him a lot but I don't know if I'm ready to take that step with him."

"You will just know it. Your gut feeling will tell you when it's the right time. You can try moving towards that direction and if it feels wrong, then just tell Rosen."

I nod my head, signaling that I understand what she's saying. As much as I want to lose my virginity to Rosen, I never can tell when's the right time. I want to enjoy the moment as much as I can and not regret it afterward.

Once Imogen returns to the room, she appears to be much calmer. Obviously, food made her feels better so that explains why she's now calm. Just as she tries to take a seat, Saskia finishes curling my hair.

"All done! You can do her makeup now and I'll start getting ready as well." Saskia announces. Imogen rolls her eyes and groans. Clearly, she was waiting to sleep or have like a post-food nap. Without hesitation, she comes over to where I'm sitting and starts rummaging through Saskia's endless amounts of makeup.