35 | ballote

3 5 

b a l l o t e 

A light, rocking quality, jump sequence

My current relationship status is extremely toxic. Not communicating well is one of the biggest mistakes you can make in a relationship. That's the reason why most ships sink–lack of communication.

Mine and Rosen's case isn't much different.

We aren't addressing the issues currently present in our relationship. We're both off in La La Land, pretending that nothing really happened and it was all just a weird dream. In the back of my mind all I can think about is the fact that Rosen was ready to destroy our relationship and considering the kind of person that I am, I will give him another chance no matter what happens.

He could cheat on me about five times and I would forgive him every single time in hopes that things will be different. That personality trait can be both a curse and a blessing. Since Faith's funeral is tomorrow Rosen asked me if I could help him write his eulogy. Of course I agreed and once that is done, I'm going to confront him. After the two of us left Everett's party I couldn't form a single sentence to express how disappointed I was. At that point I only cared about holding onto Rosen. I figured that once Rosen has calmed down and returned to his normal self I can have a normal conversation with him and he can hold his rash behaviour inside.

In the afternoon Rosen and I met up at a local coffee shop. He looks tired, like he has been awake for the past month. Gigantic purple bags and present underneath his eyes, his eyes are droopy and dark, a frown caressing his mouth. His posture is different now, he's more slouched, not holding himself up properly like he used to. He's donned in a pair of grey sweatpants and a black hoodie, glasses sitting on top of the bridge of his nose, a grey beanie pulled over his head to hide his probably greasy and unkempt hair.

"Hey," I tell him as I pull him into a hug, holding him tightly against me. "Are you ready?"

"Not really, but I guess I have to be." Rosen pulls out a small notebook and a pen from his pocket, ready to jot down some thoughts and ideas. We sit in the back of the coffee shop, away from all the giddy and happy people. The two of us order cappuccinos to cure our caffeine cravings.

I take a sip of the coffee before we start, the warm liquid cascading down my throat, warming up my insides. I keep my eyes fixated on Rosen, waiting for him to show that he's ready to talk about Faith and his ideas concerning the eulogy.

"Do you have any ideas?" I ask him.

Rosen twirls the pen in his fingers, his eyebrows furrowed as he stares at the blank notebook. He shrugs, not bothering to open his mouth to form a proper sentence. He uses the pen to create small black circles on the blank canvas in front of his face. He runs a haphazard hand through his hair, continuing to think of proper things to include in his eulogy. By the look on Rosen's face it appears like he doesn't even know what to say about his mother. Clearly he has a lot of good ideas in his head, but none of them seem great enough.

"Are you stuck?" I ask him, placing my hand on his to calm him down.

Rosen nods. "Yeah, I guess I am. What should I write about?"

"Anything that gives you good memories," I tell him. "Think of all the good memories you have with her; maybe some from your childhood, from when you guys still lived in Sweden; or maybe you have some good stories from any travels." I hope my suggestions are good enough for Rosen. Judging from the expression on his face it almost feels like none of the ideas I provided are good enough for him.