Chapter Five

As sun filtered into the nursery, Dawnkit stirred and opened her eyes to the new light of day.

Beside her, Mistykit lifted her eyes, than focused.

"Come on!" she said, springing to her feet.

"What?" Dawn kit said.

Mistykit stepped forward, eyes shinging.

Dawnkit stepped back, "no," she said, "I know that look, I am not getting into trouble AGIN."

Silverpool jumped up, "It's today! It's today!"

"What's today?" Dawnpaw asked.

Silverkit stepped up from tackeling Mistykit and tackeled Dawnkit instead.

"What do you mean, you don't know? You little fish-brain, todays, our– and Troutkit's and Bramblekit's and Rushkit's–"

"What she's trying to say," Mistykit busted in from Silverkit's long speech, "Today is our apprentinces ceremony!" They said together.

Dawnkit leapt up in the air, claws extended and fur spiked up.

"Great StarClan!" she said, panting, "Why didn't you tell me?"

Silverkit and Mistykit said together, "I'm really sorry but we weren't sure if it was going to happen, we just found out last night."

"But why didn't you wake me then?" Dawnkit wailed.

"Shhh," came from the other side of the den. Iceleap moved in there a couple days ago, just when her belly was swelling with kits.

"Sorry," Dawnkit whispered back, and promptly marched out of the den, and wrapped her tail around her paws.

Mistykit and Silverkit slid out of the den, muttering apologies.

"Don't apologize," Dawnkit said, "just tell me one thing, when. Is . The. Ceremony?"

"It is right now, and if you want to become apprentinces, act like one." Tanglebrooke's gruff voice said, poking Dawnkit in her ribs.

"You need more training," he muttered, half to himself, "too chuby and not enough muscle.

Dawnkit felt stung by the resentment in his voice. Hunkering down, she waited till his back was turned, and stuck her touge out at him.

Tanglebrooke snapped around, and glared at her. She quickly stuck her tounge back into her mouth and under Tanglebrooke's unbreaking stare, took a sideways glance at Mistykit and Silverkit.

Silverkit was rocking back and forth across the balls of her feet, eyes glazed and mouth open.

Mistykit had her cheeks puffed out, trying to hold it in.

"Oh no," Dawnkit thought. Mistykit couldn't hold it in for long. Aczactly as Dawnkit had predicted, Mistykit ran out of air and made a loud sswphh noise.

Silverkit stoppedrocking and towed Dawnkit (again) and Mistykit to the clearing where Flamestarawaited.