Chapter 2

A week later I was sitting in my very first college course and I was practically vibrating with excitement. I looked around the classroom to see that I appeared to be the only one who was. Half of the class looked like they were about to fall asleep even with the huge thermoses of coffee they had. And the other half of the class were asleep. The professor was at the front of the room writing 'Psychology 101' on the whiteboard. The bell rang signally that class was about to begin and I about yelped in eagerness. Again, it looked like I was the only one enthused about this.

The professor turned to face the class and he looked just about as enthused about this as the rest of the class. "Good morning, class. Welcome to Psychology 101." He began in a slow voice. "I'm Professor Harrison." He walked over to his desk and flipped open his book. "Let's get to it. Open to page 24." As soon as I opened my book, a guy ran in out of breath and without so much as a pencil in his hand. Professor Harrison sighed and rolled his eyes. "Mr. Jensen, late for class on the first day. There's a surprise." I could tell this was definitely not a surprise for Professor Harrison. The late guy just smiled sheepishly at Professor Harrison. "Take a seat." Late guy hurried over and took the empty seat next to me.

Professor Harrison continued on with the lesson and I scribbled down notes intently even though he didn't say we had to. I've always wanted to be a psychologist since I was very young. Helping people through their problems was at the top of the list of the things I loved doing.

And then it was really time to start taking notes. Everything the Professor was teaching were things I already knew from taking advanced psych classes in high school, but it was refreshing to hear them again.

"Psst." I heard coming quietly to my right. I looked over at late guy who was trying to get my attention. "Can I borrow a pencil?" He whispered. "And a piece of paper?" He had the same sheepish smile on his face. I smiled back at him, before ripping out of piece of paper from my notebook and giving him it along with one of my many extra pencils. "Thank you." He whispered with a thankful look on his face. I nodded and smiled back, then continued writing notes. Soon, Professor Harrison was giving us our assignment and class ended. I got up and started making my way toward the door. Then late guy ran up to me with a smile. "Hey, thanks for helping me out back there." He said as he handed me my pencil.

I smiled in amusement. "You can keep it." I told him. "You need it apparently, late guy." I joked as we walked out the door.

"Oh, so you've hardly said two words to me and I already have a nickname?" He said with a grin. "Glad I make a good first impression."

I laughed. "Oh, you made a first impression alright, I don't know if I'd call it a good one though." I teased.

He gasped, but had a small smile. "Ouch." He said sadly. "Well, I'm going to call you mean girl, then!"

I shrugged and let out a tired sigh. "I've had worse nicknames." He gave me an amused smile. This guy might be the exact opposite of me, but he was still pretty good looking. He had light brown skin, green eyes, and a jaw line that could cut you.

"Well, even if you're going to call me late guy for the rest of the semester, my real name is Max Jensen." He told me.

"That's nice, late guy." I teased. He just rolled his eyes at me. "I'm Nova Parker." I told him.

"That's nice, mean girl." He mocked. I pushed his arm and he moved over a couple feet. "Oh, so now we're moving on from verbal abuse and moving to physical abuse!"

I smirked. "You know it." He smiled. I looked at the time on my phone. "I got to get to my next class; you know the thing where you sit in a room and learn. I know you don't know what that is."