Chapter 4

"Aw, there she is; the little baby whose brother fights all her battles." A guy taunted me with his group of friends as I walked passed. I looked down at the ground and kept walking. It was Friday, and by now everyone on campus had heard about the incident in the cafeteria; and every day since I got tormented worse whenever I went to eat.

A few different guys fell into step with me as I walked toward the cafeteria after class. "Hey, it's Nova, right?" A guy with dark hair asked in a condescending voice. I nodded. "Is Parker going to start another scene today?" He taunted. The three of them formed a circle around me to block my path. "Y' know," The same guy began, and took a step toward me, then twirled a stand of my hair with his finger. "It would be totally worth the screaming match if it meant I could get you into my bed." The tone of his voice made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. His friends made it known that they agreed with their friends' comments. "How about we skip the cafeteria, and we go back to my dorm and I'll eat you." He murmured. I swallowed.

"Hey!" A voice yelled from behind. The three guys were immediately pushed aside by Jude. "Leave her alone." He growled.

The dark-haired guy faced up against Jude. "Oh, yeah, sorry my mistake. I forgot she was your toy."  He snarled.

Jude pushed him in the chest, sending the guy back a few feet. The guy looked appalled by that. "Screw off, Kyle." He told him in a low voice. Kyle didn't look at all scared by Jude; just annoyed. "Get out of here!" He commanded. Kyle looked at his friends and gestured toward the cafeteria with his head; and the three of them walked inside. Jude turned to me. "Are you okay?" He asked in a soft, concerned voice.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine." I answered hastily. I looked around the perimeter and then back at him. "You should get out of here before Silas sees you talking to me."

He nodded in agreement and looked around us. "Yeah, probably." He looked back at me and smiled. "Hope you're doing okay, Nova." He said sincerely, before turning and walking into the cafeteria. I sighed as I walked toward the cafeteria door. I put my hand on it to open it, but stopped. I removed my hand and leaned up against the wall.

It was my first week of college and already everything was horrible; aside from my grades of course. I was stupid enough to still be interested in a guy I was warned to stay away from, I hurt one of the only few people I like at this place, and now everyone on campus was taunting me; and I'm betting they were doing the same to Silas. I sighed and went to reluctantly go into the cafeteria.

"Hey, Nova." I heard before I opened the door. Silas came walking up to me with two small paper bags in his hands. "I packed us lunch today." He said with a smile.

I smiled. "You're kind of the best brother ever." I told him. "Don't tell anyone I said that." I added with a smirk.

He chuckled. "Don't worry; I definitely won't." He looked behind him and then back at me. "Follow me." He gestured with his head and began walking; I followed him questioningly. He led me out to the vacant football field.

"The football field?" I asked with a chuckle. "Is football really all you think about?"

He smirked over at me. "Yeah, pretty much." We walked out to midfield and sat down with our bag lunches. We made small talk as we started eating. "So, how are you doing?" He asked.

I sighed and looked down. "There's this guy, Max." I began.

Silas held up a finger. "Wait, another guy?" He asked in an irritated voice. I nodded hesitantly. Silas sighed. "Okay, what's the deal with him?" He asked in an exasperated tone.

"Well, he's in my psych class and we became friends." I began. Silas already looked unpleased by this. "He wasn't doing well in the class so I offered to tutor him."