Chapter 5

The next day I went to the school's activity director and asked her about the tutoring program. She thanked me profusely for volunteering because they are very understaffed. Apparently, there were only two other students tutoring. We met in the libraries on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday afternoons. Since it was Saturday I would be starting today.

I arrived at the library at 12:30 and right away saw May chatting with the librarian. She smiled when she saw me walk in, said a goodbye to the librarian, and then made her way over to me. "Hey, Nova." She said, happily. "I heard you were helping us out now."

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm happy to help." I said with a happy smile. "And it sounds like you guys need it." I added.

She let out a relieved sigh. "We really do. Obviously, there's only been one week of classes, so the students in here are very motivated to learn their material deeper." She explained. "A lot of them want to be involved in sports and other extracurricular activities."

I nodded; impressed. "That's awesome of them. I'm glad the people that go here are so motivated." The activity director, Pricilla Martinez, walked into the library then, followed by a guy.

Pricilla and the guy walked up to us with a smile. "Good afternoon, girls." She greeted happily. "Thanks for joining us, Nova." She said looking over at me. "I see you've already met May."

I nodded with a smile. "We're actually kind of friends." I told Pricilla.

May smiled. "I hit her in the head with a volleyball and the rest is history."

Pricilla laughed before looking over at the guy standing next to her. "This is Oliver." She introduced. He had curly blonde hair, brown eyes, and a thin build to him. He smiled shyly at me. "He started helping on the first day of classes." She smiled over at Oliver. A student walked into the library with his arms wrapped around his books. He was a short guy, with messy brown hair, and large glasses. "Oh, hello, Jacob." She greeted happily and walked over to him. "How are you doing today?"

He smiled. "Pretty good." He replied quietly.

She smiled back at him; then looked back over at the three of us. "Oliver, are you ready to help Jacob?" She asked in a sweet voice. Oliver nodded and walked over to them. Oliver and Jacob sat down at the table and Jacob opened his book. Pricilla made her way back over to us. "Oliver helps two other students and May helps two. So, having you here takes a lot of pressure off all of us."

I smiled. "Well I'm happy to help." I replied. Pricilla smiled once more before excusing herself to go do something. "So how many students will I have to tutor?" I asked May.

"Oliver and I will probably tutor two each for now, and you can have one while you get used to things." She told me.

"So, who am I--" I began, but was cut off by a swarm of butterflies hitting my stomach like a ton of bricks as Max walked into the library. The two of us locked eyes for what felt like an eternity. Then he looked away and kept walking to the table where he sat down next to Oliver and Jacob. I quickly turned to May. "That's Max Jensen." I stated, and she nodded. "I can't tutor him—don't ask." I added. "One of you has to keep him." I begged.

May nodded. "It's totally fine; me or Oliver will take him. No biggie." She assured me. Then looked around, then leaned in closer to me. "But we're going to talk about this later." She said in a hushed voice. I nodded. Then a tall girl with dark hair and brown eyes walked in with a backpack slumped over her shoulder. May looked over at me. "That's Beth. You can tutor her." She told me as she dragged me over to her. "Hey, Beth. This is Nova Parker; she's going to be tutoring you from now on." She introduced.