Chapter 12

He led me by the hand to the football field with a wide smile. He let out a quiet laugh that made my stomach flutter.

I laughed, but clamped my other hand over my mouth to keep quiet. "We're going to get in so much trouble." He turned and looked at me and held up his pointer finger to his mouth. Then we left the light that the streetlight was providing and went into the pitch darkness of the field. A minute passed. "Do you know where we're going?" I whispered with a quiet giggle.

"Yes." He whispered back.

"How?" I whispered back.

"I know this field like the back of my hand." He replied, and then stopped walking; causing me to bump into him. We laughed. Then he pulled the flashlight out of his pocket and flipped it on; lighting up his face. "Hey." He said with a smirk.

"Hey." I replied with a giggle. I looked around. "Okay, so we snuck onto the football field, now what?"

He looked around in the darkness and then back at me. "I don't know." He replied with a laugh. I shoved him in the chest, but he grabbed my arm, and pulled me into him. "Now, we totally make out."

I laughed and escaped his grasp. "Nope." I replied with a wide grin. "You got to be more creative than that."

"Hmm..." He looked up at me. "We could totally have sex."

I grinned. "Okay."

His facial expressions fell serious and he lowered the flashlight. "Wait, really?!"

I laughed. "No." His lips turned up into a smile and he made his way over to me. "Oh, are you going to start begging now?" I teased.

He chuckled; then grabbed my hand and looked down at it. Then he met my eyes again. "Just might." He replied with a sigh.

I gave him a small smile, but then fell serious. "Hey, we need to talk." I told him.

He shot me a panicked looked. "Those are never good words." I sat down on the ground and patted the spot next to me. "It's about him, isn't it?" He asked in a knowing voice as he sat down. I nodded slowly.

"I thought I had my mind made up, but now I'm not so sure." I admitted. "You both are so great... it's just hard."

He scoffed. "I don't know how many times I have to tell you; that guy is not great." He told me in a firm voice. "I'd never lie to you." I didn't say anything; I just looked into his eyes to see if I could find the answers I so desperately needed. Was he lying? Or was he? "Nova... do you trust me?" He asked in a sweet voice; then reached out and grabbed my chin softly.

I looked down. "I--." I spoke in a whisper and left it at that.

He lifted my chin up and I met his eyes. "Do you trust me?" He asked again. I still didn't reply, because I didn't know the answer to that. I moved in closer to him and smiled, but didn't utter a word. He smiled sexily back at me. "Is this the part where we kiss?"

I nodded. "I think it is." I leaned in to kiss him, when a light coming in our direction caught my eye. I backed up and tapped Kyle on the shoulder and pointed behind him. "Uh oh." I whispered. He and I made horrified eye contact and quickly got to our feet. I took a few steps away to start to run, but it was too late.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me!" The all too familiar voice yelled as he grew closer. I swallowed. My brother's face was now in plain view. He looked at me with fury flashing in his eyes. "What are you doing with him?" He asked as he flashed the flashlight toward Kyle. "I thought you said you weren't entertaining him?"