Chapter 9

"When you were a kid did you used to say that you were married if you were swinging side by side with someone?" Kyle asked as we sat on the swings together at the park.

I laughed. "Yeah, actually." I replied. "I thought that was just some weird thing that the kids in my neighborhood came up with."

He chuckled. "Nope. We were weird, too." He grinned widely at me. I smiled back. The whole afternoon with him the thoughts Killian gave me were in the back of my head. Kyle seemed like a genuinely nice guy so I didn't know what to think because Killian seemed honest, too. Kyle must've noticed my thoughts were somewhere else, because he moved his swing toward me. "Something wrong?"

I sighed and met his eyes. "When I was with Killian the other day--." I began, but Kyle let out a loud groan and rolled his eyes.

"I can only imagine what he said about me." He said and groaned again. "Go on." He said with a sigh.

"Well, basically he said that you're just trying to get in my pants and don't really care about me." It kind of hurt to say that out loud. I met his eyes. "And he seemed pretty sure about it." I said and looked away.

I heard Kyle curse under his breath and get up from the swing. He came over and knelt on the ground in front of me. I met his eyes and I could see how furious he was. "Don't believe a word that comes out of that bastard's mouth." He began in a low voice. He closed his eyes, let out a sigh, and opened them again. He smiled. "Let me be clear; I do want to get in your pants, of course I do." He told me with a smirk and I smiled back. "But I care about you. I'm not going to ditch you or hurt you, I promise you that." I could see the sincerity on his face. "But I also know you're into Jude and there's nothing I can do about it. And if you choose to be with him, okay; I'll respect your decision." He put his hand on my leg and his smirk widened. "But just know, that I'm after you too."

I looked away as a giant smile forced its way upon my mouth. I looked back at him. "You're kind of great." I told him with a grin. "There's got to be a catch. You're sweet and funny and good looking." He looked down with a smile. "What's wrong with you? What's the catch?"

He chuckled. "The first time I spoke to you." He answered. "I say things like that sometimes because I'm a guy who thinks can get away with talking like that, but I was wrong to talk like that to you and I regret it."

I placed my hand on his face and stroked his cheek with my thumb. "All is forgiven." I told him with a smile. He smiled back and wrapped his hand around my wrist. I stood up from the swing and he rose from the ground; and we were very close to each other.

He chuckled. "Is this the part where we kiss?" He asked in a low voice.

I smiled. "Not yet." I replied and began walking away. I turned around to see him standing in the same spot but watching me walk away. "Come on." I said. He didn't waste any time, and jogged over to me. We walked in the direction of my dorm hall. "Okay, so tell me about your first girlfriend." I told him with a smile.

He chuckled. "My first girlfriend." He said in a tired voice. "It was my sophomore year of high school, her name was Heidi, and she was crazy." He told me with a grin.

I laughed. "Crazy how?" I asked. "Crazy in a stalker way, crazy in a jealous way, a crazy in bed way..." My voice trailed off at the end.

He smirked at me. "Oh, is that what this is?" He asked in a knowing voice. "You're trying to get me to spill on my sex life."

It was the truth, but I gasped in a fake offended way. "I most certainly am not. I'm genuinely wondering about the status of Heidi's insanity."