Chapter 11

The next day I was walking to psych; very tired, but very happy. The only thing I was feeling bad about was how I was going to break it to Kyle that I wanted to be with Jude. I turned to enter the psych building when someone was walking next to me.

"Hey, can we talk?" Max asked.

I about laughed in his face. "Never again." I told him flatly and kept walking like he wasn't there. I entered the classroom with Max right behind me. I rolled my eyes and sat down. Max took the seat next to me. I ignored him and looked down at my homework.

"Nova, please." He begged. "Just hear me out." I just pretended like he wasn't there. I kept my head down and focused on my notes. "Nova." Max said again in a desperate tone. "Nova, please. I need to talk to you." He pleaded. "I want to apologize."

I slammed my book shut and looked over at him with fury flashing in my eyes. "Fuck you, Max!" I yelled, causing a few heads to turn. Max's expressions turned sheepish. I got to my feet. "I tried apologizing to you for weeks and you refused to listen to me." I yelled and jabbed my finger into his chest. "What I did was a mistake and an accident, but you knew that I was sorry about it. But even after that you go and you say those horrible things about me." Max looked down at his lap. "So, no, you are not allowed to apologize." I shot him one last scowl before grabbing my things and moving to a seat on the opposite side of the room. I could feel Max's eyes on me throughout  the entire class and it took me a lot of strength not to look back at him.

After the class ended I hurried out to avoid being cornered by Max. But it was too late because he had hurried out into the hall after me, grabbed me by the shoulder, and pinned me against the wall. All of my books fell to the floor. "Listen to me, please."

I squirmed as much as I could to get out of his grasp. "Let go of me!" I yelled. I could feel tears start to well up in my eyes. "Let me go!" I yelled again; the tears started falling faster.

"I'm sorry." He told me sincerely. "Nothing of what I said was true. I was just hurt and angry." I looked away to avoid his eyes. "Please forgive me, Nova." He begged. "At least look at me." I turned my head and met his eyes. "I'm so sorry." He said in a quiet voice.

It was quiet for a while; the two of us just stared at each other in silence for a while. Then I nodded. "I know." I finally said. "But I can't forgive you and we can't be friends." His face fell. "I liked you too." I reminded him. "You hurt me too." He didn't say anything; he just looked back at me with sadness in his eyes. "Now, please let me go."

He nodded and moved away. "I wish things didn't have to be this way." I nodded slowly and looked away. Max leaned in and kissed my cheek. "Well, goodbye." I didn't say anything; I just stared into his eyes for what seemed like a very long time.

Before I could stop myself, I had backed Max up against the wall and pressed my lips against his. He didn't seem shocked by this and he wrapped his hands into my hair. We stayed like that for a very long time; long enough for me to be late to my next class. I backed away and looked into his pretty green eyes. "Goodbye." I said quietly; then picked up my books and walked away.

The rest of my classes seemed to go by in a blur. Someone who truly cared about me, wouldn't say those things about me. I couldn't have Max in my life; I had to let him go. I was also dreading the conversation I was going to have to have with Kyle. I liked him a lot, but Jude... I was just going to have to avoid Kyle as long as I could.

After class I was headed to the cafeteria and decided that I was just going to grab a sandwich and get out of there so I wouldn't be seen by anyone. I was hurrying inside when Killian fell into step with me. "Hey there!" He greeted happily.