Chapter 8

It took every ounce of my strength to keep from crying the next day. Max's words kept repeating over and over in my head. I felt like what he said was true. I did lead him on; not intentionally, but I did. And now I was interested in two other guys. One of which I shamelessly made out with in public. The other was a very attractive guy who I'd like to get to know better.

I sat in the cafeteria by myself not eating much of anything. I was looking down at my plate as I played with my peas with my fork. Suddenly, someone sat down in the chair across from me. He looked at me with a smile.

"It's Nova, right?" He asked.

I nodded. "And you're Killian." I stated.

He looked at me in surprise for a second and then smiled. "Nothing boosts the confidence like a freshman you've never met knowing your name."

I rolled my eyes. "I've heard of you and you look like your brother." I told him in a flat voice. "Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out."

He gave me a sick look. "You know Kyle?" He asked in a disgusted voice. I nodded. "You poor thing." He didn't crack a smile as he said this which I found strange.

"Do you two not get along?" I asked.

He let out a single laugh. "No." He answered flatly. "We're fine when we play football, but other than that—no. I hate him."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "He doesn't seem like a bad guy." Killian took one of my grapes off my tray and popped it into his mouth.

"Well he is." He said in a sure voice. "Trust me." I didn't say anything back to that. I looked back down at my tray again. "Why so glum, sweetheart?" He asked as he stole another grape from me.

I looked up at him and then leaned forward. "Okay, Max Jensen; obviously, you know him." I started.

He nodded. "That I do, but I wish I didn't." He replied.

I smirked. "I used to kind of be involved with him, I guess, but not really." I shook my head. "Long story short, he thought I was leading him on and at the game last night he called me some horrible things and I can't stop thinking about it."

He laughed once in amusement. "Is that why we found him unconscious on the field? Did someone kick his ass?" I nodded. "Was it Parker?" He asked leaning forward. I nodded again. He clapped his hands and laughed. "Oh good." He replied after he finally stopped laughing. "Jensen thinks he can call himself a receiver right next to me and your brother." He paused and held up a hand. "And I'm glad he got what he deserved for saying those things about you, of course."

I smiled. "Thanks." I replied, and looked at him curiously. "Not that I don't want your company, but why are you talking to me?"

"Oh!" He said and drummed his fingers on the table. "You're Angelina's roommate, right?" I was about to answer, but he held up his hand and shook his head. "Don't answer, I know you are." I grinned and rolled my eyes. "Well, we've been kind of seeing each other for a while now." He said in an almost shy voice.

My eyes widened in surprise and a grin spread across my face. "Oh, you're the guy!" I replied. "She told me she was seeing someone, but didn't say who."

He smiled. "Well, it's me." He looked down and sighed, before looking up at me again. "I'm kind of in love with her." He told me quietly with a shy smile. I gasped loudly and clapped my hands. "Shhh!" He said holding his finger to his mouth. "How do I tell her?"

"Um... I don't why, why don't you say 'I love you'?" I told him sarcastically.

He shook his head. "No, I want it to be better than that. I want it to be sweet and romantic and mushy." He said with a love-struck smile. "Stuff that girls like. But I'm no good at that kind of thing."