Another Day

Mitch's POV:

"Mitch!" she screams, fear clouding her dark brown eyes. I panic, although I have been for the past few minutes. The entire situation was unreal, and I was having a hard time believing it was actually happening.

It all happened so quickly. One moment, we were holding hands, walking along the boardwalk. The next, a giant hole seemed to form right where she was standing, swallowing her whole. At that moment I thought she was gone, but she somehow managed to catch herself. She hung underneath it, clinging with all her life to a broken down bar, 15 feet away from the furious onslaught of waves, waiting to consume her.

I don't have time for shock. In fact, I don't have time for anything right now.  These could be the last moments I ever see her, with her tear-stained eyes and hair stuck to the side of her face. It could be the last time I heard her sweet voice, full of her British accent. I would no longer be able to hold her and feel her warmth next to me, or see her smile and laugh, seeming to light up the oom as she did. I would never again be able to kiss her, or tell her that I love her ever again. I couldn't let that happen. I couldn't live on if she died. That's why I had to save her. 

There were jagged pieces of wood encircling the hole, framing her small figure that was hanging below. I grit my teeth and reach down past them, feeling the rough objects pierce my skin, although I couldn't care less. I re-grip my footing and continue to reach until I feel her trembling hand underneath mine. 

"Ashley, please. I'm not going to let you fall. J-just don't let go, okay? That's all you need to do. Don't let go." I say, although I can feel my voice shaking. She looks up at me and nods, lips trembling.

"I love you Mitch." she says, more tears pooling down. I swallow to control myself.

"I love you too Ashley. That's why I'm going to get you out of here, okay? I'm never going to let you fall Ashley..." I say, feeling my own tears dribble own and into the below. I feel hands on my back, and as I look, I see that on-lookers are helping me, making sure I don't fall. I know I should thank them, but first I have to save her, or their efforts will be in vain.

With a surprisingly swift, desicive, motion, I grab Ashley's arm. Then, checking to make sure I have enough support, I use my other hand to grab her other arm. Once I have a good enough grip, I take a deep breath and pull with strength I never knew I had. It feels as if I pull not only with my arms, but with every bone, organ and blood cell as well. I don't stop pulling until she's back on the dock, in my arms.

I let myself go, releasing every tear I held in for the past few minutes. She was alive, and I had saved her. I pull her back and look at her. She stares back into my eyes, and I kiss her more passionately than I ever have in my life. I don't care who's watching, I don't care what anyone thinks. All I know is that Ashley was going to live another day, and she would live it with me.