Waiting To Say the Words

~Note: In this one-shot, Ashley and Mitch are in high school, and have been friends for a while~ 

Ashley's POV: 

 I walk down the hallways, rushing to get to homeroom on time. I woke up late this morning, so I had to rush to get ready in order to get to school on time. I practically run down the hallways, seeing as no one is in them, and as i turn a corner, I see a familiar figure with a red sweatshirt ahead of me, also running to get to class.

"Mitch!" I call, not too loud. He turns around, grinning as he sees me.

"Oh hey Ashley. Looks like we're on the same boat." he says. I look around to see if anyone's watching, then I run full speed to catch up to him, and together we speed towards our homeroom that we share. As we enter the room, I see several people look my way and glare at me, seeing Mitch come in behind me. I ignore them and take my seat just as the bell rings. I sigh in relief, and look back at Mitch. He's talking to a girl, but he steals a grin at me. I grin back, and turn around quickly as the teacher comes to my desk. 

"I'll never know how you manage to always arrive at the nick of time." Mr. Muntley says. "Maybe next time you won't be so lucky." He smiles at me, in a kind yet serious way. I nod and look down at my desk, noticing people can hear us and are staring. He nods in satisfaction before turning to Mitch.

"And you Mr. Hughes. You seem to be her partner in crime, so I would watch it otherwise you might get in trouble with that soccer team of yours." Mr. Muntley says. A series of immature "OHHHS" goes off, and Mitch just shakes his head. I look back at him and form an "O" shape with my mouth, but he just laughs and mouths "shut up" to me. The bell rings, and I grab my books and get up. I see Mitch making his way towards me, but his path is blocked off by Brenda, a snotty black haired whore who was always hitting on people. I roll my eyes, knowing it wasn't worth it to wait, and walk out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 The first four periods sucked for me. Every time I tried to talk or hang out with Mitch, girls would always block my way and hog him. By the time lunch came around, I was so frustrated that I pretty much just gave up.

"Why the long face?" Annie asks as I sit down at our usual lunch table. 

"People." I answer simply, but Annie's not ready to give up.

"What kind of people?" she asks, with a sort of caution. I sigh.

"You know, bitches being bitches." I say. Annie raises her eyebrow, and I stop trying to eat my salad.

"Brenda and her friends are being super annoying, and I can't talk to Mitch." I say, lowering my voice as I see them starting towards me.

"Speak of the devil." I murmur. Annie looks behind her and a grave look crosses her face.

"Oh hey Ashley." Brenda says, flashing her fake smile.

"Hey." I mumble.

"Almost late again, huh?" she asks, and her friends snicker. "Except this time, you had a companion. What did you do, drag him down with you?" There's anger and jealousy written all over her face, which boils my blood.

"No, actually. I just saw him in the hallway while walking in. But that bothers you, doesn't it Brenda? You always want what you can't have, and you know he can't have Mitch. I'm friends with him, and you can't change that, which you don't like. Well too bad." I say, trying to keep my temper down. Brenda's friend gasp, and so does Annie. I see a look of hatred cross Brenda's face, and a twisted smile crosses her face.

"You don't deserve him you know. What are you? Some sad excuse of a girl, who's ugly and fat? Compared to him, who's star player of the soccer team, and totally hot. He's a fool for even hanging near a disgusting beast like you. So why don't you do us all a favor, and just disappear." she says, turning on her heel. I'm about to get up, but Annie lays a gentle hand on my leg. I look up and see Mitch is standing right behind me, so I get and up go to the bathroom. As I leave, I hear Brenda talking to Mitch.