7. Disbelief

Ron and Harry sat in the Gryffindor common room, while the rest of the house was in bed asleep. “I can’t believe it” said Ron “I just can’t believe it”, “It was hard to watch.” Replied Harry, “And that’s not even the best bit, they plan on running away together this Christmas holiday!” “OH this just gets better” Ron said sarcastically, “where are they going?!” “Malfoy Manor” “Oh bloody hell”.

Their conversation was suddenly interrupted as they heard someone’s footsteps coming from the stairs, they both turned their heads quickly as they didn’t want to be caught gossiping. It was Hermione.

Ron and Harry looked at each other, and each person’s eye contact told the other to act like there was nothing wrong, and that they didn’t know Hermione was with Malfoy. “Hello boys, you’re up late” said Hermione suspiciously, “what’s up?” she asked “We can’t sleep, so we came down for a late night chat, you know how I like a nice chat before…” “Before you go to bed, yes Ron I know” said Hermione.

It went quiet for a minute; there was tension in the air. “Why are you here then?” said Harry. Hermione racked her brain for an excuse and came up with “Oh…urm well I – I came down to study of course” “What with no books?” Harry replied trying to catch her out “I thought I left them down here earlier, obviously not” she smiled, and sat down on the floor leaning against Harry’s chair.

Hermione felt relieved that she managed to sell this lie to the boys. They all sat there talking as though nothing was wrong. No lies or deception had occurred at all, until the topic of Christmas holiday came into their conversation. “Me and Harry are stayin’ here, this year.” “Yeah, what are you doing Hermione?” Harry questionned.

Hermione’s heart started beating fast and hard, as she panicked. She hadn’t thought of a cover story for her sudden departure. “Me? I’m going home as usual”. “Oh that’s funny” said Harry “I thought I heard Lavender say that you were staying here this year as you and her needed to revise charms?”

Hermione became frightened that the boys had sussed out that something was going on. “Well it was a last minute decision wasn’t it. Mum wanted me to come back for Christmas so I am”. “Fair enough” said Ron.

The conversation continued onto wizards’ chess, though there was only one thing on Hermione’s mind, and it certainly wasn’t wizards chess. She had planned to meet Draco in the Gryffindor common room. So she looked at the back of the room near the portrait hole, hoping that Draco could hear the boys talking in the common room, and know he couldn’t come in. The fat lady was terrified of Draco’s father and as a result let Draco in of a night time. At least the ‘bully’ act that Draco plays had its advantages.

Harry, Ron and Hermione sat, chatting in the common room for about an hour and a half, until Ron fell asleep in the chair. Harry and Hermione woke him up and took him upstairs to bed. The goodnight on the landing was particularly strained.

“Goodnight Harry” she said with a smile “Goodnight Hermione” replied Harry and as she started to walk into the girls dormitory, he grabbed her hand “Hermione, you know you can tell me anything don’t you? It just you seem so – so distant” Hermione looked at the floor and thought about telling Harry for a second, but decided against it as it would ruin her and Draco’s plan.

“Yes I know I can, thank you Harry”, she smiled again and looked into his eyes. Harry felt let down that she didn’t tell him, but he smiled back and said “Well goodnight then" as he walked into the boys dormitory, shut the door quietly and climbed into his four – poster, where he fell asleep as soon as his head touched his pillow.