34. Hysterical tears

Hermione had been waiting for Draco for 2 hours now, and she was fuming. ‘It clearly says the times and days on the timetable. I can’t believe he had screwed up already.’ She began to pace the length of the room. ‘I don’t know why I bother. If he didn’t want to come he just had to say. It would have given me an extra few hours of revision’.

The spell had worn of, yet Draco still lay on the floor of his dormitory, whimpering in pain. His eyes were glassy, and he clutched his ribs with his right arm, and stared at his branded left arm. ‘I can’t believe I trusted him’ the combined feeling of betrayal, and the venomous ink percolating his veins Draco felt weak, and angry. Until his thoughts turned to Hermione.

On her anger based rampage, Hermione decided to go out looking for Draco. She ran to the Gryffindor common room and up to the boys dormitory in search of Harry’s cloak. The boys were asleep meaning she could slip in and get it, no questions asked. She silently tip toed over to Harry’s crate and pulled out the cloak which lay on top.

She was about to leave again when Harry sat up. “What are you doing?” He rubbed his eyes “Well, I – er” “Is that my dad’s cloak?” “Yes- I just wanted to borrow it, you were asleep so I just” “Yes, it’s fine, you can – Why do you need it though?” “The library. I need to go to the library, and get some books, but Filch is on the prowl” She held her hands behind her back.

“Please, don’t lie to me Hermione” “What – I” “I know about you and Malfoy” a spine tingling silence took place and Hermiones feeling of anger was replaced by guilt, “Harry… I’m so sorry I didn’t tell you, I just-” “You lied to me. Your best friend –Just go” “Harry I-” He turned away from her “Go Hermione!” Feeling she could only make things worse, she left hesitantly.

Hermione hurried to the Slytherin common room under the cloak, letting the anger and hurt build up inside of her, party that he didn’t show up, and partly the fact that Harry had shouted at her. ‘Why can’t he be happy for me?’  She allowed thoughts to flow through her mind, as she slipped through the open stone wall behind a couple of first years, and rushed up to the boy’s dorm.

She stepped in and ripped off the cloak, and was just about to release the anger on to Draco, when she saw him lying on the floor in hysterical tears. “Draco! What is it?! What’s happened” He covered up his arm, and she ran over to him and lifted his head onto her lap, she sat there and held him tight while he sobbed into her chest.

She went to move his arm, but he flinched which made her stop. Hermione dragged her hands through his hair as a comfort, and kissed his head, but the whimpering didn’t ease up. “Draco, you can tell me” he uncertainly moved his hand and revealed the stain on his arm to Hermione.