37. The reunion

5th May 1998

Hermione walked steadily up the path to Malfoy Manor and knocked firmly on the door. The answer came very swiftly and a flash of blonde hair became apparent to Hermione, and before she knew it a familiar set of arm’s clung around Hermione’s neck. “Mione! Thank God” He breathed heavily in her ear. “I thought something had happened to you”

She couldn’t come out with any words, but allowed the tears to flow. She had been so busy comforting her friends, that she had no time to grieve herself. He flicked up her chin with his pale fingers and gave her a kiss. “I thought I would never see you again” She finally said whilst weeping into Draco’s chest.

He gripped her arms, and brought her into the house. “Where are your parents?” She got so worked up, she was now taking short gasps for air. They sat on the stairs together and he rocked her back and forth, until she had calmed down. “Draco, where are they?” “I don’t know” he said softly “It doesn’t matter anyway, what happened?”

“Haven’t you heard?!” “Mione, they told me to stay here! I haven’t heard anything from anyone in three days!” “Harry was alive – He defeated Voldemort” Draco let out a sigh of relief, and drooped himself over her lap, as much as he disliked Potter, he had saved his and Hermione’s future together and for that, he was grateful.

He took her upstairs, and let her get some sleep for a couple of hours, before crawling into bed with her. Hermione lay in bed having a nightmare about the war. She was screaming “DRACO! Come back PLEASE! DRACO!” He woke her up and held her tightly as she began to cry again. “What is it Mione? I’m here!” She breathed heavily “Don’t you ever leave me again. Do you promise?” “I’m here, and I’m not going anywhere!” He held her even tighter.