24. Sullenness

They trekked through the snow as they got off the train and started to walk to a café. Hermione decided to hold the questions she had to ask him, as he looked so happy. The genuine smile shone through on his face as he laughed and spoke with Hermione. All memories of the darker side of Draco were a distant image in Hermione’s mind. He looked so pure, and innocent when he was happy.

When they eventually got the café, they walked through the door and the only other people sitting in there were a couple having a cup of tea in the corner of the room. They sat down and looked at the quaint menu. Both of them ordered a hot chocolate, and some toast. They chatted and giggled as they usually did, when Hermione asked “Why aren’t you spending Christmas with your parents?” There was a sullenness impression from Draco.

She plucked up the courage to look up into his eyes, which were diverted to the floor, and he remained speechless. She placed her compassionate hand on his and he slowly looked up at her. “You know you can tell me anything. Yes?” He nodded his head slowly. “They-make me do things” “Things?” “Things that I don’t want to do” Hermione was at a loss, but listened to him anyway.

“They’re not really parents. They use me to do their business.” “You’re clearly not happy, Draco” “I didn’t understand when I was younger, but as I grew up I realised.” “Realised what?” “That we’re all dark wizards.” A deathlike mute flooded the room. Hermione was trying to conjure up the words to help. “Draco, you don’t have to be like them, you can change” “I can’t escape it now Mione” “You could…just-” “You don’t know what they would do” He looked colourless, and she realised that talking about it wasn’t helping so she put muggle money on the table, took him by the hand and lead him out of the café.

 “Where are we going?” “You’ve shown me your house, I think it’s time you saw mine”