35. Heart Ache

Hermione’s heart ached for him as the black smudge on his arm, became apparent to her. She began to cry herself. “I thought… that it was sorted” She spluttered between her cries. He didn’t answer, and the sobbing had stopped now, tears just streamed down his cheeks, but he made no noise. “Who did this to you?” she questioned.

He remained silent, but after a couple of minutes, he whispered the answer to her question. “My father” Draco stood up and moved away from Hermione, he sat and looked out of the window. She followed him and made an attempt to comfort him, but he declined it and physically pushed her away. 

She gasped and flinched slightly as he stood up from the window seal “See you’re scared of me. That’s why you’re sticking around. Well I don’t need your sympathy, and I most defiantly don’t need you” Hermione backed away from him slowly, but she was anything but scared. 

What am I saying? Draco thought to himself as these poisonous, hurtful words spilled out of his mouth. “Go on, just get out” He walked over to his bed and observed his pulsating forearm, as Hermione scooped up Harry’s cloak and slowly made her way back to more familiar grounds.

As soon as she had left the room he had regretted it. ‘Why did I do that?’ He thought to himself and soon enough he found himself searching for a piece of parchment to send Hermione a note. He picked up his best quill and wrote:

Mione – Everything I said, I didn’t mean it. I’m so sorry for scaring you. Meet me in the room of requirement – now. We need to sort this out.

Draco.

He sealed the envelope and cast a spell on it so that only she could read it. With a flick of his wand the letter fluttered away down the hall and out of sight. Draco rolled down his sleeve concealing his arms, and looked at himself in the mirror. His eyes were red and stinging from where he had been crying, it was embarrassing, but she would understand.

He ran through desolate corridors until he reached the entrance to the room of requirement, it formed in front of him and he slipped through the door to already find Hermione sitting on the red couch. She looked up at him walk through the door, and he glassy eyes made him warm inside, despite the icy feeling projecting from the dark mark.  

She stood up and ran over to him, pulling him in for a loving hug. Her hand caressed the back of his neck and she whispered “I’m sorry, I just wanted to help you” “I know you did” He looked into her eyes, and pulled her down onto the couch so she was sitting on his lap like a little girl, her hands still firmly grasping his neck.

“Hermione, the last thing I want is for you to get hurt… and now I have this…I don’t have much control over your safety” Hermione nodded “So, we need to keep us, a complete secret – They will use you to get to me Mione, so this has to be private.” She remained quiet “Now, I’ll warn you know that I don’t know what’s is going to happen, but you are my main concern … so in order to protect you, we may have to stop meeting like this-” “Draco” Hermione piped up “I know exactly what they are like and I want you to promise me, that you will do everything they ask you to do” He nodded. 

They shared a kiss, before coming to the agreement to stick to the timetable until Draco gave the word.