27. Desert

A wave of stress explored Draco’s emotions. He rapidly turned his back and ran up the stairs to check on Hermione. She was already asleep, the covers of Draco’s bed pulled up to her nose. He walked back out and quietly shut the door behind him. Pacing the corridor outside the bedroom for a while he allowed the thoughts to flow through his mind.

I have to stop this. It would crush Hermione. How can I do this to her? They’re going to kill me.

He proceeded downstairs, to see what Pansy had to say about the rising. When he got to the meeting room, it was empty and looked rather morbid. Ripped piece of parchment was rested on the edge of the rounded table, the note read ‘Meeting at the usual place. Be there at 8 TOMORROW. Pansy-x’. Draco slumped into the chair closest to him.

Tomorrow was Christmas day. He had pledged to spend the day with Hermione. I need to sort this out. He was racking his brain for a solution to this mess. He thought back to his day with Hermione. He envied her perfect life, but she deserved happiness. I have to quit this, for her.

He stood up again, and slid the note into his pocket before frantically decorating the house in preparation for tomorrow. After a couple of hours, he went and got into bed with Hermione, sliding his hands around her waist and holding her close for the couple of hours sleep he would have, before having to sneak out of the house in the morning, and leave the side of the death eaters.