Chapter 23: Khushi

Khushi stood in the dubious shelter of the building, watching in dismay as rain cascaded down.

Hai Devi Maiyya! Arnav-ji even texted me about an umbrella this morning, I still forgot.

Frustrated, she smacked herself on the head as she fretted about catching a rickshaw in the chaos. She aimed for the entrance, pulling out a notebook and holding it over her head as she dashed between buildings.

Almost five weeks had passed since her engagement and the routine of her college classes and assignments kept her busy. She was filled with determination to complete her degree as best as she could. After all, this was her last semester. Arnav-ji was busy too. His company had hosted an event in Mumbai, and he'd been gone for a whole week. She hadn't seen him since he'd returned.

Khushi's heart twisted. She missed him. She missed the routine they'd set up – lunch on Tuesdays and dinner on Fridays, with visits to either his home or hers on weekends. She'd even spent Raksha Bandhan with him, watching as Di tied a rakhi to his wrist.

"Chhote doesn't need to get me any presents this year," Di had gushed as she'd fed him a sugarfree laddoo, "It's enough that he's getting married! But next year ..."

Shaking his head, Arnav-ji had smiled as he'd pushed a gift-wrapped jewellery set into Di's hands.

Lost in her memories, Khushi slipped on the slick concrete, and a hand wrapped around her upper arm to steady her. An exclamation died on her lips as her gaze collided with warm brown eyes.

"Careful, Khushi."

His hair was plastered onto his forehead, his white shirt was damp with rain, but Arnav-ji grinned as she righted her dupatta. She gaped when she realised that his car was parked behind him.

"What are you doing here?"

"I knew you'd forget an umbrella. Get in, I'll drop you home."

He grunted softly as she sprang into him, oblivious to the many eyes on them. She twisted her fingers into his waistcoat, trying to hold him closer. The yellow stone on her engagement ring twinkled.

Mine.

"Come," he murmured into her hair.

Arnav-ji helped her into his car before climbing into the driver's seat. Khushi chatted happily as he drove, telling him about her classes and the assignment that was due the next day.

I missed you, I missed you, I missed you, her heart sang.

And the other thing, the one she'd never said out loud, danced on the tip of her tongue.

I love you.

Khushi raised her eyebrows at Arnav-ji as he turned into an underground car park.

"Hungry?" he asked.

She nodded eagerly as her tummy gave a little growl. Chuckling, he unsnapped her seatbelt before opening his door. Khushi closed her eyes when her body slid against his as he helped her down.

"Are you okay?" there was a slight tremble in his voice, and she realised that he felt it too.

The heat, the electricity, that she'd noticed on that first day had only deepened, until sometimes all she could think about was burying herself in his arms. To be closer to him than she'd been to anyone else. To touch him, and ask him to touch her in turn.

Arnav-ji's eyes darkened as they stood there, so close their breath mingled and she felt the heat of him through their damp clothes. His hands skimmed up her body, gliding from her waist to her shoulders before tangling in her hair. Her heart hammered as her breath hitched in her lungs. Her eyes fluttered closed and her head tilted up a fraction, a silent invitation. He seemed to read her mind. His forehead rested against hers briefly before he moved so their lips brushed. Something flared inside her, instant and overpowering, and her fingers tightened on his arms as he pressed his mouth to hers again. There was more pressure this time, more warmth, more everything, but their kiss remained chaste. He'd never gone beyond this, and she didn't know how to ask for more.

"Your nose is red."

Khushi's eyes snapped open. Amusement shone in his eyes as he smiled, his fingers still idly toying with her hair. Then clarity slammed back into her as she realised that she was still pressed against his car.

She pushed Arnav-ji away gently, "Anyone can see us!"

"You didn't seem to care a minute ago," he smirked as he took her hand.

Blushing, Khushi allowed him to lead her across the undercover car park and into a cosy café.

"Table for two," he greeted a waiter, "somewhere private."

They shook hands, and Khushi thought she saw money exchange hands. She turned to Arnav-ji, gasping, but he only winked as they were shown to a table at the back of the restaurant, far from where the other customers sat. The waiter placed slim black menus in front of them as he asked for their drink orders.

"Black coffee," said Arnav-ji.

"Tea, please, with milk and sugar."

Khushi reached across and snatched at Arnav-ji's sleeve as soon as the waiter was out of earshot. "You paid him!"

"Money speaks, Khushi. I wanted some privacy."

"But," she spluttered, "You can't just ..."

"I can. And I just did."

The finality in his tone warned her to keep quiet, but she couldn't.

"So you just throw money at everything to get your way?"

"Yeah."

"Arnav-ji!"

He calmly turned the pages of his menu. "Money is power, Khushi, and I have a lot of money."

"You sound cold, and cynical. Money isn't everything. It can't buy you everything."

"The people who say that don't have enough to buy their dreams."

Khushi huffed in annoyance, realising that he wouldn't be swayed. Fear blossomed inside her as she considered.

How can we see the world so differently? What will our marriage be like if we can't agree on something as small as this?

They sat in silence until their drinks were delivered. Khushi was jolted out of her melancholy when a teapot and two small jars were placed in front of her.

"I ordered tea," she protested, "with milk and sugar."

"Relax," Arnav-ji gestured for the waiter to leave them, "That's the tea, and the milk and sugar. Make it to your tastes."

Oh.

Khushi muttered to herself as she poured a cup, "Why pay so much money if we have to make the tea ourselves? I can get better fare at a tea-stall in Laxmi Nagar."

"Paagal."

She looked up to find him smiling, amusement shining in his eyes. He handed her the menu, making sure to brush his fingers against hers, and their easy conversation and flirtation returned gradually as they ate. Khushi pushed aside her misgivings and tried to enjoy her time with him.

Talk eventually turned to Jiji's wedding.

"I'm so glad, I'll get to see you almost every day for a week!"

"You'll see my family almost every day," he corrected with an apologetic grimace, "I think I'm only coming for some of the functions."

"Arnav-ji!"

"We're busy at the moment. I'll try my best."

He drove her home when they were done and leaned across the console of his car to kiss her goodbye. She curled her fingers into his hair, keeping him close.

"Mumbai was lonely," Arnav-ji whispered as he kissed her cheek, and she heard what he didn't say.

I missed you.

"So was Delhi."

I missed you too.