Chapter 24: Arnav

Arnav ran up the stairs and across the veranda, his heart pounding almost painfully. He pressed the doorbell relentlessly, and when the wooden doors didn't open instantly, battered them with violence. The marigolds and tinsel that decorated the frame gave way to his aggression.

"Khushi!"

The door opened without warning, framing her Bua-ji in the doorway. Her features were drawn, her eyes red-rimmed.

Fuck.

"Babua," she sobbed.

"Khushi called."

She nodded, patting his arm as she pulled him inside. The house was decorated with flowers and ribbon. Brightly coloured cloth decorated the ceiling, and fairy lights were strung across every available surface.

"She's in her room."

He ran, pushing her door open and rushing inside. There was a blur of motion and then she was in his arms, weeping and clutching at him desperately. The force of her embrace sent him staggering backwards.

"Khushi."

Arnav led her to the bed, where she huddled against him. She shook violently, sobbing hard as he whispered to her, clumsily offering comfort. Calming Di was one thing; a lifetime of experience had taught him the things to say and do, and when. But this ... this was different. Holding Khushi as she suffered triggered an almost primal protectiveness in him; he would do anything to stop her tears. Arnav whispered to her as he ran a hand over her hair, coaxing her to speak. Eventually, Khushi managed to tell him what had happened.

"Jiji's ... Abhishek-ji ... they ..."

It was the day of the wedding, and Payal's in-laws had called early in the morning to demand a dowry at the last minute.

"Babu-ji was shocked. When he asked why, they said ... Arnav-ji they said ..." Khushi hiccupped, "They said that since I'm engaged to a Raizada, to you, then we should be able to afford it."

Rage rose like a tide within him, stealing his breath and quickening his pulse. He released Khushi to stand and pace the room.

"Then what happened?"

"Babu-ji told them that he'd have to mortgage the house and the shop, that it would take time. They said that if he didn't have the money by the evening, they won't come at all."

"Where's Payal? Where are your Amma and Babu-ji?"

"Jiji went to the temple to pray. Amma is with her. Babu-ji went to see someone about money."

"Those ungrateful, greedy bastards," he seethed, running a hand through his hair.

"It will destroy Jiji if her marriage doesn't go ahead," Khushi wept, "it will destroy Babu-ji and Amma and Bua-ji."

"But Khushi, if your family pays them now, they'll only ask for more. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, or even this year. But eventually, they'll try this again."

"But Jiji ... her marriage ..."

His mouth twisted in fury. He, of all people, understood what women faced when a marriage alliance was broken. Di had suffered for years before she'd married Aman.

"What if I found something?" he asked, "Something that would convince them take back their demands?"

"How can we build a relationship with them based on threats and blackmail?"

In an instant, Arnav was towering over her as she sat on the bed. He resisted the urge to shake sense into her. "Khushi, they've already decided to build a relationship on a bed of deceit. Try to understand."

She opened her mouth to protest, but a knock interrupted her. Shashi-Uncle came into the room.

"Uncle," Arnav strode over to shake his hand.

"Babua. Thank you for coming."

"Khushi told me everything."

Nodding, Uncle crossed the room to sit next to Khushi. She rested her head on his shoulder, taking one of his hands between hers. She was still shedding silent tears.

"They're the groom's side," Uncle said softly, "they can demand anything, and everything."

A memory of Di's tears as yet another another family rejected her suit came to mind. They'd cited her limp, the fate of their parents, her broken marriage and the unsuccessful alliances that followed, and demanded an outrageous amount for her dowry. And although Arnav could've paid it five times over without blinking, he'd been unwilling to watch as his sister made a home amongst those vipers.

He didn't want it for Khushi's sister either, but her tears weakened him.

"Uncle," he hesitated, reluctant to wound her father's pride, "If it's money ... I can ..."

"No, babua," Uncle gave a wan smile, "I've made a decision. I won't be beholden to that family for the rest of my life. What happiness could they possibly give my daughter?"

Khushi gasped.

"And anyway," Uncle turned to her, still stroking her hair, "the happiness of one daughter should not come at the expense of the other."

Arnav stood in silence as Khushi protested, trying to sway her father. But Uncle refused to budge, even when Khushi cited her sister's misery.

"Don't worry, child," he reassured her, "Devi Maiyya will show us the way."

Khushi rocked in disbelief as her father left to comfort her Bua-ji. She clutched a pillow to her chest. "This is all my fault."

"What the!? How the hell is any of this your fault?"

Khushi looked up. Her eyes and nose were red from crying, tears clung to her eyelashes, and her bottom lip quivered.

"If I hadn't said yes to marrying you, none of this would be happening."