Chapter 1 - Deadly Flowers | Skylar

You make me vicious
Watch as I make the pain my mistress
You can call me Miss Malicious
I'll dress you up in stitches
No, I cannot resist this

I like to take the knife and twist it

Watch out I'm vicious

—Vicious by Halestorm (song included)

The man pulled a knife across her mother's throat, severing the delicate tissue from ear to ear

The man pulled a knife across her mother's throat, severing the delicate tissue from ear to ear. Blood pooled on the floor. The man let go and her mother's head hit the floor with a thud.

She cried loudly. Her small body shook with sobs.

The man looked up at her. "Nothing personal, sweetheart, it's just gang business." He turned and walked out the back door. 

Skylar woke with a start

Skylar woke with a start. She sat up and pushed her tangled hair out of her face—somehow hoping it would clear the haze. Her shirt stuck uncomfortably to her sweaty skin. She kicked the covers off to allow the cool night air to soothe her burning skin.

The bunker was dark, but the longer she sat, trying to control her breathing, the more her eyes adjusted. She could hear the ever-present hum from the air vents. The luminescent purple glow from the Aurora gas flowing through the pipes along the ceiling reassured her she was no longer dreaming.

Whether reality was better than her nightmares was still up for debate.

She inhaled deeply and stared at the blank concrete walls. The bunker was small. It only fitted two beds, two steel lockers, and a bathroom the size of a shoe box. She turned her head to stare at her bunkmate, praying she didn't wake her.

No such luck. Nova lay watching her with a scowl.

Skylar fell back in bed with a sigh. She covered her face with her arm and hoped Nova would let it go. She would even settle for triggering the Aurora gas—a potent narcotic—instead of facing Nova's interrogation.