Chapter 35 - Frenemies | Skylar

Skylar sat in silence mauling over everything they just discussed. She jumped at the sound of a knock on the door. Great. She walked to open it.

Rachel's smile dropped.

Skylar grimaced at her disappointment. "Hi."

Rachel sighed. "Hi."

Skylar turned and walked out onto the balcony to fall into the comfy white sofas outside.

To Skylar's annoyance, Rachel followed her and sank into the sofa opposite her. "Where's everyone?"

Skylar closed her eyes and snuggled deeper into the plush sofa. "They're upstairs, busy with work, I guess."

"See you discovered the sofas, they're my favorite spot in the house."

Skylar sighed. So much for ignoring her. "Jason asked me to be civil, I think the best way to do that is if we don't talk."

Rachel huffed. "Funny, he told me the same thing."

Skylar gave her a stiff smile and then closed her eyes again.

"Are you and Jason together now?"

Skylar kept her eyes closed. "Yes, we are."

"There's a lot you don't know about him. The secrets are going to drive you mad."

Skylar opened her eyes. "I highly doubt that."

Rachel smiled. "We shall see."

Skylar sighed loudly. "Rachel, I'm sorry things didn't work out between you. I can understand how losing him would be painful, but you need to move on."

Rachel chewed on her bottom lip. "I honestly don't know how to respond to that, except that maybe you had a point when you said we shouldn't talk." She stood up and walked back into the house.

Skylar shook her head. Bitch. She enjoyed the warm sun on her skin. 

Her eyes flew open when a kiss landed on her lips. She stared directly into Jason's blue eyes and smiled.

Sam plopped down onto the sofa opposite her. "Thanks for not daggering my sister, Romanoff."

Skylar smiled. "Black Widow? She's got nothing on me."

Jason playfully sat down in Skylar's lap.

Skylar huffed. "Ooofff...get off, you're so heavy."

Jason chuckled and lifted his weight so she could wiggle out from under him. Skylar instead turned sideways and threw her legs over him.

Aaron walked out onto the balcony with Rachel behind him. Rachel crossed her arms and shook her head.

"Get off your high horse." Sam poked his sister in her side.

Rachel shrugged. "No thanks, I like looking down from my high horse." She turned to Jason. "Can we please talk?"

Jason looked at her. "Sure, what's on your mind?"

Rachel placed her hand on her hip. "In private?"

Jason shook his head. "There's literally nothing you can't say in front of these people."

Rachel raised an eyebrow. "Fine, you know this will never work." She motioned between Skylar and Jason. "You simply can't expect this fling to go anywhere if you can't even be honest with her, she doesn't know anything about you."

Aaron sighed and crossed his arms.

"Here we go." Sam breathed out and fell back onto the sofa.

Skylar glared at Rachel. The audacity of this woman.