Chapter 4 - Acquainted | Jason

We'll never get free

Lamb to the slaughter

What you gon' do

When there's blood in the water

The price of your greed

Is your son and your daughter

What you gon' do

When there's blood in the water

—Blood in the Water by Grandson

Jason pulled up to the Waldorf home, a gigantic white colonial structure in Lunar Estate

Jason pulled up to the Waldorf home, a gigantic white colonial structure in Lunar Estate. Four marble pillars sentinelled the large porch overlooking the putting green of the ninth hole.

Jason could still remember the late nights he played on that very lawn.

Him, Jessica, and Evelyn running around unsupervised—temporarily orphaned by expensive liquor. It seemed a lifetime ago. Will Evelyn be here? His friendship with Daniel's daughter faded to less than acquainted, in fact, he can't recall the last time he saw her.

The front door opened to reveal the butler.

Jason sighed and got out of the car.

"Good evening Mr. Knight. May I take your jacket?"

Jason greeted the man with a nod and shrugged off his jacket.

Daniel entered the foyer flashing a megawatt smile. "Young mister Knight, it's been too long. See you still insist on driving that old Mustang of yours." Daniel extended his hand.

"Mr. Waldorf, thank you for inviting me." Jason took his hand. "It's a GT500, it doesn't need justification."

Daniel grinned and held up his hands.

A high-pitched squeal entered the foyer. "Jason, darling, I am so happy you made it. Ugh, you turned into such a handsome young man." Lara grabbed and pulled Jason into a suffocating hug.

Relief filled Jason when she finally let go. "Mrs. Waldorf," —Jason stepped back— "Thank you. You look lovely tonight."

Lara blushed. "Oh darling, you're too sweet. Now, I want to re-introduce you to our precious daughter, you will notice she's not the girl you might remember. She blossomed into quite a beautiful flower." She gave a childish giggle and shouted up the stairs. "Evelyn sweetheart, please join us."

Jason rubbed his nose. Lara's sweet perfume assaulted his nostrils and memories of the distinct smell flooded his mind—equally unpleasant.

"There you are, sweetheart, come on down," Lara said.