Chapter 16 - Bonfire | Skylar

Desperate for changing

Starving for truth

I'm closer to where I started

I'm chasing after you

I'm falling even more in love with you

Letting go of all I've held on to

I'm standing here until you make me move

I'm hanging by a moment here with you

— Hanging by a Moment by Lifehouse

Skylar took one of the enhanced healing pills the Greenhouse fed them to speed her recovery

Skylar took one of the enhanced healing pills the Greenhouse fed them to speed her recovery. She spent the morning in her room nursing her wound and resting her body. It wasn't a complete waste because she spent it researching the blue blood families of the city. The Knight and Frost family was right at the top.

Skylar stared at a photo of Jessica Knight. She seemed like a chatterbox with a broken lid. I should have taken Jessica's number. Skylar sighed. She could take a gamble and go to the gym.

Skylar dressed and, in an attempt, to avoid the shouting from Lara and Daniel in the foyer she decided to slip out the back. Skylar shielded her eyes from the bright sunlight when she walked around the pool to the small gate at the side of the house.

A funny smell hung in the air and smoke rose from the bushes next to the house. Skylar paused to check it out.

Evelyn sat on the ground, her eyes red, with a joint in her perfectly manicured hand.

Skylar frowned and stepped forward. A twig snapped under her boot.

Evelyn gave a soft yelp. "Oh Sky, fuck you scared the shit out of me."

Skylar stared at her shocked. "Did you really just cuss?"

Evelyn rolled her eyes. "I'm only perfect 90% of the time. I thought you were my mother."

"Well, I guess we're both relieved then."

Evelyn giggled and took a drag from her joint.

Skylar shook her head in disbelief. "Lyn, are you smoking weed?"

Evelyn looked up. Her eyes filled with tears. "Yeah, it takes the edge off. My mother drives me nuts."

Skylar nodded with sympathy.

"You used to call me Lyn when we were kids, do you remember?" Evelyn said with a shaky voice.

Skylar knelt to keep out of sight. "Yes, I remember, and you use to call me Sky, like just now."