Chapter 14 - Coffee Date | Jason

A hunter on the prowl
My feral queen, my everything
Sooner or later, babe
You'll have your way with me
And then I shake and feel the nerves
Guess that I'll get what I deserve

And I saw you change into a lioness

— Lioness by Daughtry

Jason stared at his laptop screen

Jason stared at his laptop screen. Initially, he watched the footage from the warehouse attack, but now he sighed at the image on the screen—a frozen frame of Skylar entering Nocturnal in a mouthwatering white dress.

Jason hadn't seen Skylar for almost a week, but she never strayed far from his thoughts. Their last encounter unsettled him. He didn't expect her to reveal a vulnerable side. Her scars were inflicted not obtained. Jason felt an odd possessive urge to protect her.

He slowly closed the laptop. It was time to leave for his lunch with Evelyn.

The front door burst open. "Hellooo," Jessica yelled.

"What? I'm on my way out." Jason walked to the door but froze when he saw Rachel.

Jessica pushed past him heading to the living room. "I think I forgot one of my books here, let me just get it then you can go, Mister Grumpy." Jess disappeared into the house leaving Jason at the door with Rachel.

They stood in uncomfortable silence for several seconds before Rachel spoke. "How are you?"

"Good."

"Where're you heading?"

Jason shrugged. "I have a date."

Rachel narrowed her eyes slightly and placed a hand on her hip, popping it out. "With that Skylar girl? Why is everyone making such a big deal about her?"

"No, but even if it was with her, I don't see how that concerns you."

Rachel smiled slightly and flipped her hair. "I was just curious, you seemed interested in her at the gym?"

Jason grimaced. Jealous. "Of course, I'm into her. She is sinfully sexy with a great pair of—"

"Okay, I get it." Rachel cut his sentence off with a wave of her hand. "Don't forget she's a stranger. She'll never know the real you as I do."

Jason used to love the way she scrunched her nose when she got mad. Now, he thought of the way Skylar bit her lower lip when she got irritated.

"Okay, got it," Jessica yelled, bouncing back into view. She eyed Jason and Rachel curiously for a moment. "Pleased to see you survive in each other's company."

Rachel huffed.

"Jessica, has anyone ever told you, you need a lesson in tact?" Jason locked his door and ushered the girls into the elevator.