Chapter 22 - Skeletons in closets | Jason

Whose blood to spill?

I don't know
Whose side I'm on?

Two armies are coming at me
Their flags and weapons look the same
One tells the truth, the other's lying
And they're both calling my name

This is how villains are made

— How Villains Are Made by Dadalen Duke

Jason watched Skylar hastily excuse herself

Jason watched Skylar hastily excuse herself. He returned his attention to Aaron with a glare.

Aaron shrugged. "What? I had no way of knowing she'd be here."

Jason pulled a hand down his face with a groan. "Is Sam on his way—"

"Present." Sam plopped down next to Jason with a grin. "Tell me that was Skylar I saw leaving."

Aaron crossed his arms. "It sure was."

"Nice." Sam raised his hand. "High five."

Aaron sighed. "Read the room, Sam." He turned to Jason. "Why was she here?"

Jason frowned. "I didn't invite her, she showed up."

Aaron shook his head but sat down opposite them without another word.

Jason knew Aaron was suspicious of Skylar, especially now. He didn't blame Aaron. "Last night I thought I saw movement, but before I could look the redhead attacked. I assume she tried to distract me from the second woman. I checked the CCTV footage for the first attack, and I am certain that it wasn't the redhead at the warehouse on sixth. The fighting styles differ." Jason sighed and pulled a hand through his hair. "What if you're right, Aaron? Skylar arrived in the city on the night of the attack, I saw her at the Waldorfs that Friday, and thanks to Jessica we are sure she left Nocturnal before the attack."

Aaron frowned and Sam chewed on the inside of his cheek.

"Your silence is killing me," Jason said annoyed. "I need to know who this girl is before I get into deep with her."

Sam blinked then grinned. "I knew you had feelings for Skylar."

Jason sat back and threw his hands in the air. "I don't see how rubbing that in my face is helping the situation."

"So, you're not denying it. You really moved on from my sister, huh?" Sam's smile dropped.

"I don't know what I am feeling at the moment, but yes, Sam, I have moved on from Rachel."

Aaron huffed.

Jason moved to the edge of his seat. "I'm conflicted, okay. I'm over Rachel, I honestly don't feel romantically inclined towards her, but that doesn't mean I don't care about her, and as for Skylar...she...makes me feel.... alive. Stop giving me a hard time and help me out."

Aaron straightened up. "Okay, let's review...we know there were two women last night, and you are almost certain the one you encountered last night was covering for the original attacker," he paused, and Jason nodded to confirm his understanding.