Chapter 2 - Briefing | Skylar

Feel it comin' in the air 
And the screams from everywhere 
I'm addicted to the thrill 
It's a dangerous love affair 
Can't be scared when it goes down
Got a problem, tell me now 
Only thing that's on my mind 
Is who's gonna run this town tonight 

—Run this Town Tonight by Jay-Z & Rihanna

Skylar glanced up at the large concrete facility to her right and sighed

It was identical to the Greenhouse, but there were no deadly flowers there, only Reapers—the male version of them.

Nicolai was in there, probably fast asleep. He will move on. He should.

She shook her head. If only one's mind was like an Etch-A-Sketch, the shaking might help. She eyed the Audi with a false sense of security. These vehicles were all equipped with trackers.

Skylar hurried to the car and, while carefully placing her bag on the passenger seat, a message alert popped up on the dash screen. She patiently read as the words were typed out, this was nothing new—a standard mission briefing.

At first light, we will notify Daniel Waldorf of your departure and he will be expecting you, do not try to deviate from this arrangement.

Great. There goes any chance she had of avoiding Daniel. In the back of her mind, she hoped she could use him to get out but avoid actually seeing him.

You have three months. No more. Stay off the radar. You are not authorized to kill during the month, only observe. Your gear is in the trunk.

What on earth does she want me to observe? The Florist's instructions confused her. Why would she give me gear to go see my father?

One condition would prove troublesome; she had every intention of killing the man that murdered her mother. Skylar sighed. She knew the cost of disobeying orders. This might be the last thing she does.

Her foot pressed down on the accelerator. The loud roar of the V8 engine made her cringe. Usually, she would enjoy the satisfying sound, but it seemed eerily loud in the dead of night. There was movement up in the guard towers, but they showed no attempt to stop her. The fortified gates opened, and the razor wire's sharp edges reflected in her high beams. She drove off the base and rested her foot heavily on the gas when she hit the open road. God, this place really is in the middle of nowhere.

Her anxious mind eased as the distance between her, and the base grew. It wouldn't stay dark for long, the sun will rise within a few hours, and she wanted to be long gone before then.

She drove for hours, avoiding well-traveled roads and populated stops. She was relieved when she spotted a wilting little gas station. She pulled in, grateful for an excuse to stretch her legs along with filling the tank. The place was desolate. A lonesome truck and its sleeping driver were the only signs of life she could see.