Chapter 29 - Just Tonight

Do you understand who I am do you wanna know
Can you really see through me
Now I have got to go
Just tonight
I won't leave
And I'll lie and you'll believe
Just tonight
I will see that it's all because of me
Just tonight I will stay and well throw it all away

— Just Tonight by The Pretty Reckless

He was like cool water on a scorching day—she craved him

He was like cool water on a scorching day—she craved him. The frenzy of flutters in the pit of her stomach was a new and exciting sensation.

Skylar saw it in his face. Something was wrong.

She let her smile drop and slowed to a stop.

Aaron said something but she barely heard him over her heartbeat drumming in her ears.

Does he know? Fear dropped heavy in her gut.

"Jason?" Skylar bit her lip,

Jason clenched his jaw and looked past her. "Please go with Aaron, I need to speak with Skylar alone."

Skylar's mouth went dry. He knows.

The gym went silent and a few seconds later the rest of the group softly shuffled past her.

Evelyn looked scared.

"Sam, please take my sister home," Skylar mumbled as he walked past her.

Sam nodded.

Jason stared at the floor in silence.

Skylar crossed her arms over her chest to keep her hands from shaking. So many kills. So many heartless acts. Why am I anxious now? She wished Jason would speak or move. His passiveness unnerved her.

Skylar heard Sam pull the steel door close. It scrapped heavily on its rails.

Only once the gym went silent again did Jason look up. His stare pierced through her.

Skylar held her breath. The light barely reached him where he stood tall and broad in the dark. They were now alone. She swallowed. He is dangerous. She instinctively took a step back from him.

His eyes dropped to the movement of her feet.

Fighter instinct. Skylar took another step back. The more space she created the more time she would have to react. She itched to make a run for it, but she witnessed his speed and agility for herself tonight.

"Why're you backing away from me?" Jason frowned. "Are you scared of me?"

Skylar forced her arms to relax next to her sides. "Is there a reason I should be?"

He took a large step closer. "It depends, have you done anything that might upset me?"

Skylar's fear squeezed her heart. This is bad. She jutted out her chin and squared her shoulders. "Nothing unjust."