Chapter Nine: We Meet Again...

-Paul-

Well, ever since that debacle with Darksteel, danger has been at an all-time high. Him and an army of aliens are attacking Earth, and there are safe-zones set up all throughout major countries. There's one in New York City,  one in Russia, one in Germany, one in New England, one in Africa, one in Australia, and one in Canada. The U.N has united with T.H.O.R.N.E to protect the world. They organized the safe-zones to where you go to whichever safe-zone you're closest to.

As for the apocalypse however ... we've been taking it pretty hard. Family members dead, friends that you know might not make it, it's been a nightmare. I've been transporting citizens in peril to safe-zones, helping children find their families with the help of my fiance, Jen. We've been saving the world while kickin' ass and takin' names. I've been sent to assist bombings, transport civilians, and even rescued some famous political leaders. 

Anyway, back to the apocalypse. I now have to go out and save a bus-full of civilians. They're out waiting on the Golden Gate Bridge. 

Time to head out.

I no longer use warplanes; I fly out on my own in my suit. I'm gonna bring Jen with me so she can help, so I use those spikes on my back to hold her while I'm flying. Jen puts on a space suit while mine protects me from the dangers of space.

"You good?" I say to her as we enter the airlock.

"Yup," she answers.

"Alright, Mr. T, we're ready," I call out.

AIRLOCK OPENING IN 3 ... 2 ... 1, I hear over the P.A right before the door opens and we're sucked into space.

 I close my eyes for a second, drift a bit. A few seconds later, I open my eyes and break the sound barrier as we shoot towards California. We arrive at the bridge moments later. 

We see the bus just barely hanging on to the edge of the bridge. (It was bombed a few weeks ago.) Once all the civilians were safe, I went ahead and shoved the bus off because it was gonna happen eventually. That's when he arrived.

Darksteel.

I saw his ship coming from up above and landed on our bridge. About friggin' time.

"Hot damn," I shouted as he walked off the platform to his ship. "Still as ugly as ever." 

"Paul, good to see you," he said in his sarcastic evilness. "You've been doing well.

We walk towards each other, both of us full of absolute hatred. I mean, my God. I was about to explode.

"YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!" I scream as loudly as I can straight into his face. "THESE PEOPLE HAD LIVES, AND YOU JUST CRAPPED ON THEM!!! GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE AND SUCK A LETTER OPENER, WHY DON'T YA'?" Whew. That felt great. Got to finally get that off my chest. You know, they say the longer you hold anger in, the bigger the explosion when you finally let it go. Sadly, it had no effect. He just stood there, looking at me.

"Mr. Fowler, there's no need to be rude. I came by with a peace offering." Darksteel held out a box, sort of like the Pandora Box from Doctor Who, but smaller.

"This is filled with gems like the one you have obtained. They will unlock universes you've never even imagined. But, I have one condition: your allegiance with the High Council of Altaron and my control of the planet. The choice is yours."

Well, dang. That's cool. I mean, I would give up so much, and for some lousy jewels. But, then again, I could try and trick him again. We know what he values, and we can use that against him. I turn around to see that the dropship has left to drop off the civilians at an evacuation center. Coast is clear. I send a telepathic message to Jen and she tells me that she'll notify Thorne and the U.N.

"My good sir, we have a deal." 

I reach out to shake his hand. He looks at me, confused. Oh, ppppbbbbttt! Duh! He's an alien! He's not gonna know our human things.

"Shake my hand. It's a symbol of agreement and partnership here on Earth," I explain.

He chuckles, and now the mood has just turned grim.

"I know what you've done. You want your little team to launch everything they've got at this location once you get you and your little girlfriend back to safety."

"H--" I start, but get interrupted.

"It's my gem, Paul. I can hear every little thing that goes on in that thick little head of yours." He reached out and thumped my head with his three-fingered hand. 

"I challenge you to the death, Champion of Earth." His hands are placed beside his thighs and two guns appear.

"Ready?"

Move! I hear in my head. Ooh, Jenny has a plan-y!

I duck down and I immediately look up to see the bus coming out of the water, gallons spilling out per window. Jen is off to my left, holding up both hands, both aimed at the bus. Her arms jerk towards Darksteel, and the bus flies towards him. It smacks him square in the chest, sending him flying backwards, demolishing his ship. He got up, grunting and covering a huge gash in his chest. Darksteel picked up one of his guns and aimed it at Jen. Aww, crap. Then, he pulled the trigger.