Chapter Ten: Things Are Heatin' Up, Fam

-Paul-

Once he fired his gun, it felt like time froze again. I could see a laser in the air, headed straight for Jen. And I could do nothing about it. But she could.

Jen has always had good reflexes, that's one of the things I find cool about her. When the laser should've reached her, she made a force field around herself and it absorbed the shot. She then thrust her arms forward, and the shield turned into a much stronger laser and blew his right leg off  which only had two toes at the time. Damn, this guy can take a hit.

But Jen couldn't. 

Her power had overtaken her, drained her. She was unconscious, lying near the edge of the bridge. I gotta get her off this bridge, but this bastard is being real stubborn about it. I swoop towards Jen as fast as I can and carry her to land and lay her down. I start to splash water on her face, trying to get her to wake up, damn it. 

Ugh, she's not waking up.

"Hawk to Blackout, requesting immediate backup, over." 

"Throne to Hawk, sending backup, over." 

Thank God. Could not have survived without it. 

Darksteel starts speaking some alien language and he beams upward Star Trek style. He just "Beam me up, Scotty!"'d my ass!