Chapter Seventeen: The Launch

-Paul-

The launch is today. We've managed to get all of the world's missiles, nukes, atomic bombs, you name it, we have it. The whole of the U.N has agreed to give those aliens everything we've got. What's left of the U.N, anyways. We're goin' at em' Independence Day style. 

We ship out in ten minutes. All of the soldiers, missiles, and weapons of mass destruction are being loaded up. How are we gonna get there, you say? T.H.O.R.N.E is the most highly advanced military there ever was. Plus, the military is way more technological than people thought they were. All of the world's fuel is being poured into Blackout. 

These jackasses are getting what's comin' to them.

"Paul. It's time to go."

I turn around to see Thorne and Jen standing behind me.

"Come on," Jen says. I reach out and grab her hand as we walk up to the captain's deck. Throne follows us up. 

We stand facing the ten-foot bullet-proof window in front of us. Jen looks up to me.

"Are you ready?" she says.

I smile at her.

"Never."

I look over to Throne who smiles at us and announces over the P.A, "All systems go, launch starts in ten... nine... eight... seven... six... five... four... three... two... one!"

Blackout shoots straight up as we head straight for Jupiter. Wait a sec...

"How are we gonna get around Jupiter?" I ask.

"Well," Thorne starts, "we'll be using Jupiter's gravitational pull to slingshot us around it. So when we get there, be ready."

I look back out the window as we pass Mars. Space hasn't really interested me, but God-dang, the sights are breath-taking. Oh, here's Jupiter. 

As soon as we brace ourselves for the slingshot, giant shots coming from nowhere start hitting us. Wait they're on the other side of a gas planet... damn. Wait...

"How did they know we were coming?" I demand of Thorne. Oh, yeah, I forgot to say, Throne found out about the torture. That moment when your secret is found out by the world's boss. Ah, good times.

"The blood!" he exclaims, eyes widened.

"The telepathy!" Damn it! My victim used telepathy to warn those bastards. 

I slam the P.A button.

"FIRE AT THE PLANET!!! FIRE!!! FIRE!!!"

I look back out the window to see hundreds of missiles shoot straight at the planet. I listen closely, then I hear explosions, very, very loud explosions.

"Direct hit!" I hear from our main missions director. 

"Fire all thrusters!" I order back.

The ship takes a sudden push forwards, and the slingshot occurs. We slowly go around the planet, and we see one, big, giant-ass ship looking at us like, "Hey, bro, you what some pizza?"

We. Are. Screwed.