CHAPTER III: I AM MORTAL

"Some men may follow me,
But you choose 'death and company'
Why you so speechless?" – Lady Gaga, Speechless

"Mortal clothes, mortal, mortal, mortal I am!" I shriek.

Crying out in frustration, letting my hands drop, the dirty water splashes me on my face and I groan. I have landed on a dirt, and what surprised me was I fell lightly. But still, it splashed my clothes with dirty brown liquid. I stink. I can practically deathly smell of my clothes, and it's clinging onto me like a heavy, draggy perfume. The sky is at peace, clouds move, or rather the Earth. I clench my hands by my side, not bothering to stand up and find any shower that can take the smell away from me.

I scan the area around me, and find that I'm in sort of a forest area. Trees loom over me, taller, as if it's taunting me. The way the leaves rustle, and the way the wind carries them, I sense already that there's something wrong.

Now that demons can freely roam all over the Earth as the Land of Second Chances has been tainted and basically destroyed, it gave them a chance to slip and get into Earth. Everybody is not safe, not even me. I don't need to look into the mirror to see how mortal I am, how my powers have been stripped off of me and make me as humanly as possible. There are a lot of ways I can gain my father's trust, and who knows, maybe in a day or two, or within a week, he'll let me go back to the Angel's Home and give me my powers back.

"Léandre – right," I immediately cut myself off, realizing that Léandre, my servant, is not here to serve me at all. I got used to Léandre being around me, being my friend, but ever since he met his werewolf lover, I was suddenly alone. I am suddenly alone. Standing up, my mortal clothes sticking up on me like it's glued on my skin, I frantically search for any signs of life here. But the place is empty. It reeks of nothing. Sighing out loud I begin to move myself forward. I will accomplish nothing if I just stay here and do nothing but to whine like a little kid that has been neglected of treats. Muttering under my breath as I walk through the forest, the air suddenly gets cold, making me feel chilly. I wrap my arms around myself, focusing my eyes straight ahead. There's a rustle of leaves behind me and I whip around hastily, squinting my eyes. No one. When I turn around, a scream escapes my lips and a man laughs. "Holy Hell, who the Hell are you?"

The man has a dark brown hair, so dark it looks almost black, but when you take a look closer, you will see that it's really brown and not black. The man has a chiseled jaw, stubbles filled his chin, unshaved, but you can clearly see how gorgeous he is. I'm not really gay and I haven't been interested in men in a sexual way, but this guy is making me question it. Of course I'm just threatened. Just because I'm an Angel doesn't mean I don't get jealous. The man's brown eyes, so dark that, just like his hair, it looks almost black, like he has no irises at all. A chilly feeling runs up and down my spine, making me shudder. The man is topless, showing me his sun-kissed skin and six-pack abs, and the happy trail that leads from his belly button disappearing into the band of his underwear.

It looks like the man has been running, jogging, exercising, considering the beads of sweat running down across his forehead and chest, down to his abs. I look away, feeling suddenly awkward. I'm not exactly ogling this man, no, not at all. It's just that I desire to have that body. The proud V of his hips is visible, and once again, I look away. From his point of view, I can practically see that he thinks I'm checking him out, admiring his body and gorgeous face, but I am not. Perhaps this is one of the side effects of being mortal. When you become a mortal, or if you are a mortal, you're freely exposed to sins and other demonic stuff.