CHAPTER XIV: A DEMON'S LAIR

"I know, I know, I know you want me
You're just a pig inside a human body
Squeal out, squeal out, squeal out You're so disgusting."
- Lady Gaga, Swine

As the thick-bearded cab driver, with crooked teeth, pulls up just in front of a big two-story house, Maki motions for me to climb out. So I do. There's a nervousness bubbling inside me, coiling into the pit of my stomach. The wind is cold. I hug myself just to keep myself warm. Despite the weather – the sun is scorching hot, angling in my direction, I shiver.

It takes a couple of seconds before Maki climbs out of the cab, thanking the cab driver and I just stand there awkwardly, unsure of what to do. Maki is still in the suit, and as he bends down just to thank the driver again, his clothed butt is on display. I don't know why I'm blushing, or I feel like it's a sin to stare, but it just does to me. His suit is already crumpled, his tie loose already, and I wonder if it's my fault. He stands up straight again, turns around, and eyes me, his eyes raking me from head to toe. I hide my face.

Carrying the plastics that we purchased, he jerks his chin to what I assume his house. "Let's go inside," he says, his tone calm and collected. I'm a stranger to him, and he is to me. We just met just because I needed help from doing groceries. I hate groceries. Just because I can't remember the way back home, this leads here. "C'mon."

"Okaaaaay," I say, still unsure where I'd go follow him.

After a couple of seconds of thinking whether it's perfectly safe to go inside his house, I decide I should or have to. It's cold out here, and I don't want to die freezing. I'm not used to this type of weather – I like the temperature back in the unit the demon and I are sharing (truth be told), even though the demon is annoying as hell.

Maki leads me to his house. Bushes are trimmed almost into perfection; they are round, red flowers starting to bloom. The front porch is wide, with wooden chairs facing outside. It's fancy.

"Wait, you're in a suit," I say matter-of-factly.

He looks at his dress, as if recognizing for the first time that he's wearing a – probably – very expensive suit. Then he looks at me, with an amused expression. "So?"

According to my logic, if one perfectly looks good in a suit, he should have a car. Right? "Do you have a car?"

"A car?" he says again, his tone rising but not in a bad way. His eyes are wide, and they are looking straightly at me. A grin curves, and his eyes shine. "What? I have a car. Just didn't bring it. Didn't feel like it." I feel stupid for asking him. I just nod.

We enter his house and as soon as I take a step into his house, onto the tiled floor, I feel something twists inside my stomach. I stop from moving. Maki looks at me, then arches his brow, silently asking me if there's something wrong. I shake my head. I feel like there's something wrong. Though the house is beautiful, both interior and exterior, the aura of the house is different. Something inside me twists again, and I take a step back, coughing. Maki puts a hand on my shoulder, bending down just a bit just so he can get a look on me. He flashes me a worried look.

"You okay?" he asks me.

This time, I shake my head. It's not really pain, but something.

"Let me get you some water," Maki says to me as he practically drags me to the living room. "Suit yourself. I'll be back in a bit."

Before I can say anything, or even clutch him for support, Maki leaves my sight and goes straight to what I assume is the kitchen. My eyes have time to roam around the living room; the walls are painted white, and the style of the house is Greek-y. There are pillars, two on either side, – Tuscan order – for every entrance of each room. The front porch has a different type of pillars though. It has a swirling thing at the top, each one for each corner. In front of me is a big television set, with black tall speakers. Before I know it, Maki has come back and is giving me a glass of water. I also notice that I'm already lying down on the couch.