CHAPTER LIV: THE OFFICIAL DATE

It has been a week since the battle between the angels and demons happened, and since after he saw me alive and well, Slate has been overprotective of me. It's annoying, really, but at the same time, it makes me happy to know that he's scared to lose me again. Every night, he'd tell me how scared he was when he thought I was gone, that he would no longer see me. And before we sleep, he would tell me how much he loves me. Just thinking about those moments is enough to make my heart swell with happiness.

"Hey," he whispers as his arms wrap tight around me. I lean back, feeling his warmth. "This view is so much better to gaze at while I'm with you." Slate plants a kiss on my temple, leans down, and nuzzles his nose in the crook of my neck, as what he always does these past few days. I suppress a smile, biting my lower lip, shutting my eyes.

God, I love hearing his voice. I love how he always says those things to me. Sweet, beautiful words.

Slate has renovated the apartment we're living in, and it has become so much better. Now I can finally call it home. We're at the rooftop, overseeing the bright lights of the buildings, cars, and streetlamps. It's already night, and the moon is shining brightly over us. The sky is clear, giving us a clear view of the twinkling stars, and they are a lot. I wish I could grasp one in my hand. I know it's impossible, but if I ask Slate to get me one, this idiot would really do it in a heartbeat.

There's a basket of fruits and sandwiches right beside us, and Slate gets a tuna sandwich and offers it to me. I nod at him and try to take it in his hand but he raises his arm up, raising a brow at me. I roll my eyes playfully, push myself upwards, and give him a peck on the lips. Slate crunches his nose up in a cute manner and I laugh, shaking my head, before he gives me the sandwich willingly. I take a bite and sigh contentedly. I know that he's been living in the human world for God knows how long, but it still surprises me how he can do these things easily.

After we eat, Slate stands up and grabs a machine I'm not familiar of. I raise my brows in confusion as he grabs a large disc and put it on the machine. The machine has a gold metal trumpet attached on the small wooden box. From what I can see, this machine is already old, but Slate seems to know how to use this stuff as he adjusts something on the machine.

"It's a phonograph," he says as he looks at me, smiling. "I use this stuff often because I really don't like technology that much nowadays, but this device is kinda like the MP3 player of the 18th century. I like this better." I nod my head in understanding, my mouth forming an o as I inspect the machine.

"So this disc..."

"They are called phonograph record," he continues, readjusting something on the phonograph, his eyes squinting. "It's commonly known as vinyl. I buy them." He grins, wiggling his brows. He seems proud.

"Good job." I tease. "Such a good demon you are."

Slate's face lights up as he configures something on the phonograph. He runs after me, takes my hand, and has me stand up. He walks back towards the machine again and grabs the little metal that has a pin attached below, placing it towards the center of the disc. He then waits before a small, continuous hums can be heard and slowly, a melody begins to play. Slate laces his fingers with mine and his arm wraps around my waist, pulling me closer and we start to sway back and forth.

"This is actually my most favorite song," he says as his eyes hold mine, then he begins to sing. "Only you... can make this world seem bright. Only you..." then he stops singing, letting the phonograph does its thing. "Is it a bad thing that I'm in love with you so bad?"