Chapter: 4

PANGS OF SORROW

Alexandra's pov:

The strong smell of bleach was overwhelming. I blinked my eyes at the bright light that was shining through my closed eyelids, as I felt helpless and heavy. I could barely  move my hand, my head and my body.

I slowly started blinking, desperately trying to open my eyes and see what's around me. "where am I?" As blinding light slowly subsided I could take a look around my surrounding. I was at the hospital.

The room was pristine clean and gloomy. Typical hospital bed, IV and monitors beeping. The walls were a sickly light blue in color and the linens were whitish.

The place looked nothing like a room where a patient should be encouraged to get better. The murky room made me even more nauseated.

I could not remember how I got here, but I knew for sure that I was somewhere from the middle of nowhere.  Having the urge of being  out as soon as possible. Preferably right away. I pulled out the IV line and felt a sharp pain.

Footsteps getting louder from far end of the outer side of my ward as I had taken few steps after getting off the bed. Immediately turning my back, as my numb sore feeling body made it's way back to the bed and laying down as if none of my sneaking actions took place.

Silence prevailed for a minute, when finally my eyes stared at the opening door seeing two men escorted by a nurse heading towards my room. An old man probably in his mid 60's, had a fringe of winter white hair around his balding, mottled scalp. With a wizened face and a back slightly hunched.

"how are you feeling now?"  Josh  asked as he moved closer to my bed and sitting on the edge of it. Moving my legs backwards as I felt my pulse beating in ears, blocking out all other sound except the breath that was raggedly moving in and out of my mouth at regular, gasping intervals.

"don't worry, you are safe now. Found you in the state of unconsciousness at the roadside. Thanks to Arthur for lending a helping hand." pointing towards Arthur.
"By the way I'm Josh."

"I'm Alexandra" i replied back as I couldn't resist myself from admiring how Arthur looked. His hair was Achilles-gold and coiffed to perfection. His eyes had the same startling clarity as a mountain stream and the lineaments of his face were in perfect proportion to each other.

His mountain peak cheekbones appeared chiselled into shape by a master craftsman. They were of such sharp contours, it looked as if they were sculpted and pared to perfection. His eyes were a sparkle with mirth and shone like two eternity blue jewels exposed in snow.

He wore a white-and-blue window-pane shirt, a big-knotted black tie of gleaming silk brocade, leather knit suspenders. Top button of his shirt was undone, exposing his visible  portion of muscular chest.

"hello Alex, I hope you must be feeling better by now." as he raised his hand calling in for a handshake.
"Yes thank you." placing my palms in  his as I responded back.

The warmth of his hand and the texture to his palms, exploded exciting emotions as I could feel my skin pierce into goosebumps all over my arms.

His light blue eyes kept staring at me as my palm rested in his. I pulled my hand back in a snap of a second when i realised that I wasn't alone and had Josh who was sitting right besides the edge of my bed.

The nurse walked towards me fixing back the IV I had pulled out earlier, warning me not to repeat my actions again. Sharp light reflected into my eyes with a torch as she was examining and scribbling my results on a piece of paper on a clipboard .

"she is improving. But we need to keep her under observation for a satisfactory recovery before discharging her." said nurse as she handed over the prescription to Arthur.

"when can we expect her discharge?" asked Arthur while receiving the prescription.

"after two days. That's on Friday." replied the nurse, with a turn leaving the room.

"well then, I'll make a move. I've an urgent meeting but before that, I'll have your medicines sent to you by the nurse." muttered Arthur as he walked away closing the door behind him.

"Alright dear, get some rest. I'll leave too, have some goods to deliver at the village. I'll be back as soon as I'm done. " Josh wishing and left the room leaving me all alone. I stared at the white ceiling, when a sudden thought of Anny struck me leaving me in flowing river of tears.

Shutting my eyes hard as I control myself from getting flashbacks, though I couldn't stop myself from crying as I realized how important my sweet Anny was to me. "they will all pay for what they did to my family." I murmured as I cried myself to sleep.