Chapter: 6

NEW IDENTITY.

I had a puzzled look on my face that reminded me to check on Alex. Thoughts of the previous contretemps occupied my brain box that almost led me to neglect her. Second thought of dinner struck my head as i remembered about the dinner i was supposed attend.

Confusion got me like a black mist that wouldn't leave. Finally I came up with a conclusion of having dinner with mom and later visit Alex on my way to drop her. After mom's second marriage, I had the house all by myself as she had moved in to live with the Foresters.

It was almost 8.30pm and I knew I was running late for dinner. Dealing with clients after a horrible meeting with Simon wasn't pleasing at all. I was yet to freshen up to get rid of the entire day's exhaustion. "Mom is going to kill me for arriving late."
I thought to myself as i drove towards the poolside, parking right next to the huge water fountain.

Transparent glass doors opened. "Welcome Mr DeMarcos." Murmured the housekeeper removing my coat on my entrance as i made my way towards the lounge. It was almost a month  i had seen her last, busy schedules and working along side with Mr forester occupied, leaving her with no spare time for our little dinners.

Her blue eyes twinkled when she saw me walk through hallway heading towards the lounge. Her long red outward curls with one side tucked behind ear. White pencil semi-formal dress matched her pearl necklace and loops leaving her with a stunning outcome.

"There you are, though late for dinner." Said mom as she dived in with a warm welcoming hug placing a kiss on my temple.

"It's been quite long since i last saw you."

"How have you been mom? I'm really sorry about my behavior towards you this noon."

"It's fine Arthur, you were stressed I suppose and this is the main reason as to why am here. We need to talk."

"Sure, but before that, I need to freshen up. You can meanwhile direct the staff to lay the table." I place a kiss on her soft chubby cheeks heading towards the room.

I strip down and step slowly into the tub, turning the water on high and letting it beat over my head in steamy rivulets. Closing my eyes to the water as the heat soaks into my skin, darkening my hair and trickling down my back.

I lean against the cool tiles. water pours down, it drips by my side, as my mind fades into dullness and everything is a foggy illusion. The shower curtain is ripped back and I don't even flinch, engrossed as I was with the water cascading down my body and massaging muscles long past cramped.
My mind swirls, and it's like I'm standing under an everlasting waterfall.

I turn off the dark heavy metallic tap, grabbing a towel and stepping out heading towards the wardrobe. Since i was having dinner with mom, any casual wear won't bother her. I dig my hand reaching out for a red and grey Henley T-shirt with a grey sweatpants.

Brushing my hair in a rush and spraying deodorant as I leave the room. "Well, we can proceed with the dinner," taking the last step off the stairs as I call out for mom.

"What took you so long?"

"Sorry, I've consumed your time knowing you have some other business out there to look after."

"I've called in for a sick leave, be least assured."

"I'm glad you finally got time to spend with me. Otherwise your business and husband have taken over you after dad's death."

"Arthur, we very well know the reason as to why I married Ben."

"Yeah, to look after my younger brother Chad. We have our business, a whole huge house to ourselves what is it that we lack?"

"We have discussed regarding this the last time we met. Chad is barely 2 years, he needs father's love and support."

"Mom, I am old and matured enough to provide him with all the love and care."

"Well, this is not what I came to discuss about and keeping your words in mind, the company is on the verge of  incurring loses. Is this how you will look after Chad!!?"

"You knew from the beginning that I was never interested in taking over dad's business. I wanted to do medicine, my main motive and passion was to be a neurosurgeon. You should be glad enough for not turning back on my responsibilities."

"Enough Arthur! I will as well as get up and leave."

"I didn't mean to offend you. Anyway can we start eating? I'm starving."

Things never worked right between mom and I. We always argued about her marriage with Ben. Though I loved her and always had utmost respect for her. But somehow something in my head wasn't agreeing to the justification of Chad. I always had a feeling that she married Ben to avoid disappointment and failure.

A well knowledgeable Mrs Forester who qualified and has vast ideas on how to run the business, bailed duties on her late husband and rather decided to marry a business tycoon.

"So, how did the meeting go with Simon?"

"Not as expected, he refused to sign additional documents."

"What were the documents about?"

"Just some straightforward conditions that were supposed to be followed."

"That's not how it works Arthur. We are talking about merging the company, it's a partnership."

"Mind explaining please, how the procedure works. I might as well sound like some sort of uneducated chap."

"A merger is a deal to unite two existing companies into one new company. There are several types of mergers and also several reasons why companies complete mergers. Most mergers unite two existing companies into one newly named company. Mergers and acquisitions are commonly done to expand a company's reach, expand into new segments, or gain market share. All of these are done to please shareholders and create value."

"I'll try talking to Simon and discuss over this. Though I have a feeling I can raise the stock values."

"The ball is in your court, make sure you take wise steps as your dad. It's high time to make us proud.

"Thank you for coming over."

"Will you drop me? Or shall I call for the chauffeur?"

"I guess I'll drop you since I've someone to visit over at the hospital."

A twitch of smile appeared on my face as I finished up with the remaining food on my plate. Getting up as I waited for her to freshen up before we leave. Memories of our happy lively family flashed as I looked around the house imagining each and every special moments.

"Shall we?" She asked, encircling my elbow as we walked our way towards the fountain. I had to drop mom and head over to the hospital before the visiting hours end.