Insecure Baby

age 11

Michael listened as Luke stood in the middle of a crowd, his dress and shoes getting made fun of.

Middle school wasn't easy for Luke. He was only in sixth grade but all of the eighth graders teased him every day.

Michael didn't like seeing the tears falling from Luke's baby blue eyes, but Luke probably didn't want Michael to step in. He ditched him a long time ago.

The words being thrown at Luke became more and more harsh, and Michael started wondering where they even learned these words.

"Hey! Leave him alone!" Michael yelled once someone grabbed Luke's shoulder.

He stomped over, and pushed the guy away from Luke.

They were all shocked to see a sixth grader yelling at them, so they just laughed and watched as Michael pulled Luke away.

They got to an empty hallway, only a few kids getting things from their lockers because the bell rang 10 minutes ago and everyone was rushing to get home.

"I didn't need you to do that." Luke muttered before turning and walking away.

"Luke!" Michael called, and held onto Luke's arm. "They were calling you mean words and you are crying. I had to help you." Michael said, and Luke shook his head.

"I can handle it on my own. I'm used to it."