A Friend's Favor

{Off of GabrielleWarren 's idea! Yeah...Elena's gonna turn evil and everyone has to fix her...if I can actually write her evil. Let's see! :D}

BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG

Hmm, if there's no answer...maybe the inner door? I mean if you have a courtyard house and there're not in the yard, that's gotta be allowed...

Naomi's thoughts were cut off as the door to the outer courtyard of Mateo de Alma's house opened and...oh thank goodness, Naomi thought...it wasn't Rafa (she didn't think she could explain being childish to the woman), but Mateo, mid-yawn and looking like he threw on his green bathrobe thing that was apparently a wizarding robe before he got a good one.

He blinked at her, "Naomi? It's seven-o-clock, what are you...", seemingly with a sudden though, Mateo snapped awake and his eyes widened, "D-did something happen, is Elena alright?!", he stepped forward, gripping either of Naomi's forearms and searching her face for the answer. She was on the council after all, maybe they had sent her to get him for some problem and...

"Calm your wizarding doom-and-gloom", Naomi laughed and stepped back, "I wanna borrow your telescope, you got one right?".

Mateo stared at her for a while; uncomprehending. "M-my...telescope...?"

"Yeah", Naomi said with a grin as she entered the courtyard, "there's gonna be that falling rock shower thing".

"Meteor shower", Mateo commented and corrected absently, still trying to catch up.

"Yeah that, so I wanna borrow your telescope. I...broke...some of ours", Naomi finished.

Mateo blinked at her a bit more, "a-at seven in the morning?".

Naomi shrugged, "Well, I was up and figured before I forgot, come on, where ya keep it?" she walked past him, nudging his shoulder, then turned, "Oh, uh, that's assuming you said yes, you haven't actually said many words".

"It's seven...", Mateo seemed a bit like a broken magical recording.

"You can tell time, good job!", Naomi grabbed his arm and pulled him along, guessing that over near his cellar of books was probably where it was.

"Woah..wait...up", Mateo skipped to keep up and then pulled his hand free, sighing and walking ahead, but towards the house, "It's over here, I set it inside to check on the cloud coverage last night".

"Sounds fun", Naomi mock enthused.

"For the...", Mateo began with trying to explain, then sighed, "Nevermind". Naomi laughed as he led the way into the front room of his house and then around to one of the spare room where he kept the telescope. Naomi bent to look through it, as if doubting if it was up to par, or just to see the clouds also.

As she stood, she noticed Mateo had left the room and thought she might have offended him, when he came back, handing her a mug of heated chocolate, with one of his own.

"Ha! Why am I not surprised you cracked the code of Mauruvian heated chocolate!" Naomi commented as she took a sip. Mateo looked confused, like he often did around his friend.

"Other people also...", he just cut off with a sigh, and taking a sip of his own, went on, "Why...did you come all the way here...well I guess if you haven't been to castle yet it is closer, just thought maybe you'd borrow Elena's...oh that's a solar projector now", the Royal Wizard recalled.

"Yeah, someone forgot to update this Counselor", Naomi said, "Best-Friend's-a-magical-princess-and-no-one-tells-her", she muttered around another sip.

Mateo grinned, recalling Luisa giving Elena the exact same title, "Sorry, it was a bit chaotic".

Naomi twiddled idly at the telescope, an odd frown actually on her face, Mateo now noticed. "Hey...I...you ok? I...thought you were kidding". You do that. He didn't add.

Naomi turned back with a smile, "Yeah, sorry, I'm fine, just...guess I don't know what I'm suppose to do if you two are...forget it", she smiled wider, but Mateo thought it was put on.

"If we're what? I...I don't get it, we're not doing anything different", Mateo continued to study his friend.

"Magical and I'm not...", Naomi let out quickly and with a shrug of No Big Deal.

Mateo laughed, then abruptly stopped as she glanced to him, looking unsure, then smiling again. Her face told different than her attitude. "You always made fun of it", he pointed out, still confused, "when I'd spill small hints I wasn't suppose to about magic, in school".

Naomi sighed, "Your brand, yeah, the..scepter...sounds cool".

"Well get locked in an amulet", Mateo muttered, taking another sip.

Naomi didn't counter.

She was...actually bothered...about Elena being magical!

"Naomi...", Mateo smiled, trying to tell her she was being silly, but recognizing it was a real concern for her. He glanced down to his mug and then back at her, his smile turning more reassuring. "Don't worry, Elena's still gonna be your best friend, I'm just helping her with figuring it out...since I'm a close second I think and studied magic some", he shrugged with a small smile, trying at cheering his other friend.

Naomi laughed, "Nah, well let ya in on our level", she gave a more full smile, "But do keep me updated...please".

"Promise", Mateo said, kicking himself that he hadn't realized it was that important to her.

"Now come on", Naomi went on, "if you're my best friend too you're gonna help me carry the telescope down to where I need it", she grinned.

"But the shower's not untill later, much later", Mateo pointed out.

"And I wanna be ready", Naomi countered. Mateo sighed, there was no actual option here, so he was left helping his friend haul his telescope out of his house at Seven...thirty.