Biggest Trouble

Elena didn't think about how she should have asked Gabe where he had tied up poor Cid, but if she had to guess, she guessed the front entryway, and wasn't far off from it as she reached the spot, and then heard the other guard from one of the side parlors insulting someone.

The crown princess wasn't sure if she was more worried to find it was her grandparents or not. Francisco just turned to his granddaughter, and the Lieutenant, with his typical pondering look as they came in. Luisa was trying to get the younger guard to drink a hot coco she probably thought the cure all of this. In typical grandmotherly fashion, food helped.

"Something seems wrong with...many in the castle today" he stated simply as was his way, seemingly awaiting some explanation, though he really didn't need one.

Elena took in his words, "Who...who else has it?".

"Poor Estaban".

Elena was sort of glad Naomi wasn't here to throw out some comment about that.

"Not as bad as Cid here though", her grandfather added, turning back to him.

Luisa hadn't given up, "Cid, Niño, just take the hot coco...it'll help".

"I told you I don't want that drivel, you old--!", Cid was far more impolite than Elena knew he would be in his right mind.

Worried that it would spill everywhere in this back and forth, (even if Cid couldn't grab the cup and was just avoiding drinking it like a kid with medicine) Francisco walked up to take the hot chocolate.

"Luisa, he doesn't want it right now; maybe later", he gave a warm smile, but he and Elena knew he probably wouldn't even want it later. Not until they fixed him. Gabe came around again to face his...not subordinate...friend more than any rank. He knelt down on one knee to face the other guard.

"Come on Cid, I've lived near you for longer than we've served the castle, this isn't you, and the princessa here's gonna need all of us to figure out the mob of villagers". He didn't know it yet, but in the way trouble seemed to come for them in Avalor, this whole experience would help, and when Cid later had to give him the benefit of the doubt when Gabe wasn't in his own right mind competing for Captain of the Guard.

"Gabe...", Elena wasn't sure that insult straight to said villagers was the best call, but saw the work the lieutenant was attempting. Yet she also knew what all of this was like, and that Cid was in there somewhere, able to hear and take in what he and everyone were saying. Knew how hard that was. She stepped forward to offer help to the young guard, when, as if on cue, a loud knock came to the door of the castle and Elena and her grandparents turned towards it.

"Open up! You can't protect her forever! Chancellor!", someone's voice was clear, and Elena got a sinking feeling as she heard it.

Protect who? Her?! From what?

Franciso frowned and walked forward, even as Luisa looked like she wasn't sure about that. Gabe, sensing trouble by just the voices and their tone alone, reluctantly left Cid and Elena and came with. About four other guards unaffected came from outside to report. "There's...a mob of villagers...", no one acknowledged Gabe's on point tease, "...and we're this close to a revolution, Ricardo's got it too!". He meant the other, more prideful, military lineage guard.

Great! Further pounding on the door drew everyone's attention back to it. Gabe turned back to his comrade, "How many of us are there?".

"About five?", the other guessed.

"Make that six!", Elena cheered, patting gently at Cid's shoulders as the other shook his head. Gabe came over, "Cid?". The apologetic look he got was enough for him, and everyone else. Francisco loosened the bonds, and Cid stood hesitantly.

"I...", he began.

"Don't worry about it, Cid", Elena was the first to say and placed a hand to his shoulder.

"Alright", Gabe gave a companionable nudge to Cid's shoulder to not skip over the fact, and semi-saying, he was glad his friend was back to being him, but moving on, "Now we just need to see if Mateo has finished more of the potion".

"But...", Elena turned back towards the now four guards left with her grandparents.

"We'll be fine, Mija, go", Luisa encouraged. She and Francisco pulled a chair over to brace against the door just to ensure the mob couldn't get through, and then went for more, while Elena turned to sprint with Gabe and Cid towards the library.

"They said the kitchen staff already got the back doors, and are still unaffected", Gabe updated.

"Well that's good", the words had only just left Elena's mouth when all three paused partway down the corridor. Esteban stood blocking the way!