Moment of Truth

Mateo fussed about his potions a tad bit longer than he actually had to, tweaking and perfecting things. It wasn't completely wasted energy, everything did have to be perfect for such a risky project and on a good friend...but he was also stalling. Shown when Gabe and Naomi came in and he had not done much different than the last time they had come by to check. "I...uh...well...I think I got it".

"It'll be alright Mateo", Gabe said, fully knowing why he was nervous, "We have to free her eventually and there's not a wizard I'd trust more than you to help Elena". She was very special to all of them, Mateo knew.

He took in the point, but still...

"You...uh, don't know any other wizards...", he had to point out.

"But still!"

Naomi would have chuckled, if it weren't so somber a time; and her not chuckling put a fine point on it. Mateo glanced to his potion once more, picked it up, and nodded, "Let's go".

***

He gave Gabe's throwing arm the honors once more of hitting Elena with a soft, pliable delivery of the potion that would then dissipate on contact and give her the potion needed to...hopefully...make her her again. They would figure out what to do about the scepter and look at it later...if Naomi could grab it, with the special gloves Mateo had also made just in case there was any lingering meteor stuff on any of them. They looked like big kitchen gloves, but she didn't even comment on that given opportunity to do so, she was so worried and focused on helping her friend.

There were nods all around as everyone stood tensed and expectant. Mateo raised his Tamborita, fully fixed also, took in a breath, and struck it, "Zanamo!". The freeze field went away and Elena stumbled forward, Naomi quickly lunging and grabbing the scepter before she could react and Francisco, despite all the danger, unable not to rush over and support his granddaughter. "Elena! Mija...are you alright?".

Elena blinked, and for the moment, did feel herself. "I..I think so...", she glanced about at her friends and family, not needing an explanation of what they had done. "T-thank you...all". She sounded tired, but herself. Mateo knelt down, and looked straight at her, searching her face, "No...I don't know what it feels like Elena, but no...lingering?" He asked, then, biting his lip, "You...tried to tell us, and...".

"It's not your fault Mateo", she went on tiredly, "I could hardly do so with all the...intruding thoughts...they...", she thought for a moment, "seem gone, but...somehow I still don't like it...". It was hard to explain, and everyone glanced to each other. Maybe give it a few minutes? Or...maybe she was on to something and something was still amiss...

For the moment, Luisa carefully lifted her granddaughter, and did and suggested the only thing she could, "Come Mijita, we'll get you some tamales". Elena gave a weak laugh, "That, would be grand, thank you Abuela...".

With every moment she seemed herself, but tired, relief swept in, and finally everyone smiled. At the same time Elena looked regretful  and glanced back, "and...what I said...".

"It's alright"

"It wasn't you"

Elena gave another weak smile before letting Luisa lead her to the kitchen. Francisco followed (thankfully Isabel, on a school trip, knew nothing of this so far) and the three teens left in the room smiled to one another. "Well that's that, good job Mateo, Naomi", Gabe extended a hand and shook both of his friends' as they laughed, relieving some of the tension. "You too" Naomi said.

No one noticed, that once leaving Elena, a fog had lingered, and now swept quietly along and out of the castle...