Chapter Five -- SIX DAYS AGO 12:47 PM

Samantha's P.O.V.

    Christina Matthews was ransomed for $50,000. Abby Ladsi, Christina's best friend, said she might have seen a face, but was found dead before she made it to the station. Kingsley was ransomed. Meghan was murdered. Ellen was murdered. Rae Ann was murdered. Jennifer was ransomed. Kellie was murdered. Murdered. Murdered. Murdered.

    I threw the marker at the board, frustrated. There was only on connection to these girls but nothing links to who could have been the murder or where they held them. These guys were pros. We haven't been able to track video or audio calls, and every girl who might have seen something was murdered before they could say what. We've tried putting them on protection. It's just, they don't come forward until it's too late.

    It doesn't help that all I can think about is Danielle. They won't even take my suggestions because "it's too bias". It's just a suggestion.

    All the bodies were found on the side of a road, each one on a different road each time.

    There was a knock at the door that caught my attention. Alan stood there with a expression of hope in his face.

    "Did they find out anything?" he asked, fetching my coat. He helped put it on as I told him that the only thing they've found out was how many donuts Doug could have in 12 hours. "Well, we have lunch reservations at Olive Garden if you still want to go. Might get your mind off things?"

    For the first time in the past fourteen hours, a smile spread across my face. He is the sweetest man I've ever met.

    "These little things are part of the reason I love you," I replied, wrapping my arms around him.

    "Not because of my sexy good looks?" he joked. It would have made me laugh but under these circumstances, I couldn't. "Ready?"

    We started our way out towards the front door, but another door opening caught us before we got there. Doug and another officer came out of the conference room, laughing together about something.

    Alan pulled away from me, and he stepped right in front of Doug. "What do you think you're doing?" Immediately, Doug tensed up, scared out of his mind. "I said, 'What do you think you're doing?'"

    I placed my hand on his shoulder as if to tell him that's enough, but he shook it off. He usually only gets this way when someone either hits on me or hurts me, but Doug hasn't done either.

    "I'm getting lunch, Alan," Doug answered calmly. "If you would excuse me."

    Alan takes a step to his left, blocking him, and then to his right. "There's time to eat when you don't have a young teenage girl's life in your hands. Get back in your office and start finding a way to find her."

    "I haven't even had breakfast yet," he complained.

    "And?"

    "Pfft...uh um...well, Sammie is getting lunch," Doug excused, throwing his arms up to put more emphasis on his point.

    "Wow, great observing!" Alan sarcastically commented. "The problem is, she can't work your case, and if she was, you can bet your ass she would skip lunch to figured out her case!"  His voice rose, making both Doug and myself jump.

    Looking offended, Doug looked back and forth between Alan and I. Then, he gave an apologetically smile to everyone else staring at us.

    "Sammie has her own kidnapping case to work on to you know," he finally replied, lowering his voice.