Chapter Seventeen -- TWENTY-FOUR HOURS AGO 5:38 AM

Samantha's P.O.V.

     My eyes fluttered open, and I could feel Alan's arms wrapped around me. He must have been awake because he leaned in closer and kissed my cheek before pulling me in a tight hug.

     I smiled. This was perfect. I turned over and looked into his blue eyes, but that isn't all that I was looking at. His bruises were still there in a now dark green-yellow color. I looked down.

     "What's wrong?" he asked with concern in his voice.

     "I almost forgot all of this happened," I admitted. He pulled me closer to him and kiss my forehead. "Do you have to work?" He nodded. "Can't you find someone to cover for you?"

     "I have a 10 hour shift and then a 12 hour shift," he informed me. My eyes grew wide. That's too long. "I've missed too many days, babe. I'm sorry."

     He frowned as I did too. This isn't fair. Doesn't his work know his soon-to-be sister-in-law was kidnapped and will be dead within the next twenty-four hours? My heart ached at the thought.

     "I need to get ready, babe. I love you so much," he professed, kissing me on the lips.

     "I love you, too."

     He got up and into the shower. I stretched uncovering a tremendous headache. Never again will I drink that much wine in one night. Better yet, why don't I make a New Year's resolution no drinking at all. I know Danielle would be proud of me.

     After taking some Advil, I made some toast for both Alan and I, but by the time he was out and ready to go, he had to leave, eating the toast on the way.

     Five minutes until six.

     Even though, I was staring at the clock, I never noticed the numbers change. When my phone rang I noticed it was now exactly six.

     I answered it and stuttered as I spoke, "H-hello?" No one said anything, which terrified me. "Hello?"

     A second later her once sweet and soft voice was heard through the phone. "Sammie?" Her voice was scratchy and I almost didn't recognize her at first, but I knew it was her.

       "Danielle? Sweetie, don't worry, okay! I promise you'll be okay!" I promised, knowing I wouldn't be able to keep it. I just want to protect her from the truth of what was really going to happen to her. She doesn't need to think of how her life will end. Not yet.

     "I'm going to die," she informed me, her voice cracking and breaking my heart into two. I couldn't let her think that.

     "El, don't say that. That isn't true."

     There was silence and it scared me. I heard her take a deep breath before speaking again. "I am. I am, though." Before I could say anything she continued. "No, Sammie, I'm going to die. I saw their faces. They'll kill me even if you destroy it! It's car --"

     The phone went dead and I realized Dani was trying to tell me who had her. Who the serial killer was. Or maybe she was saying where she was -- in a car. That doesn't make sense. The videos are taken in a building. And 'it's car?' What does that mean ?

     Then I let it sink in. If she really did see their faces, then they really are going to kill her. Even if I do everything they tell me to do, they will still murder her. I can't destroy it now; even though I already decided on that very point. At least now I will be able to save hundreds of other innocent girls' lives.

    It's car. What does that mean? Those two simple words raced throughout my mind trying to connect it to something. Was she trying to tell me who it was? Perhaps a place?