Chapter Twelve -- FOUR DAYS AGO 6:18 PM

Samantha's P.O.V.

    Without any hesitation or second thoughts, I barged into Doug's office where fortunately both Doug and Joey were. They didn't look too surprised to see me, knowing this was coming, but the exhausted sigh from Joey told me he was quite irritated with me.

    "I want to have a say in this case," I announced the obvious. My hands and voice were both shaky, even though I was trying to come off strong and confident.

    "Sam, haven't we talked about this?" Joey asked, ruffling his thinning hair.

    "I have some good assumptions that I think might get us somewhere and none of you will listen," I accused. With some attitude, I crossed my arms over my chest and glared at them daring to talk.

    All my anger built to a breaking point when Doug scoffed, then broke out into laughter. This isn't funny.

    "It isn't fair that I can't even help, Joey," I commented.

    "I already told you, the answer is no. Now, if you would, please leave Doug's office so we can get back to work," Joey replied with annoyance.

    Doug smirked, but when his eyes met mine, he turned his attention to the table and frowned. It isn't that he's scared of me but of Alan.

    I took a seat at the end of the table and grabbed the file report. The two of them stared at me in disbelief as I read on.

Case Name: Abduction of Danielle Jayne Athens

Date of Abduction: November 28, 2016

Time: Approx. 9:11 PM

Witness(es): Tyler Remington (boyfriend), Jackson Wilbert (Central Café owner)

Leads: _________________

    The file was ripped from my hands as I laughed. Doug furrowed his eyebrows in confusion of my actions, wondering what was wrong with me. Then, suddenly, my laugh turned to tears. I wiped them away and both explained -- the source of the crying -- and informed them of what was going to happen.

    "If you don't let me on this case, she's going to die. He will kill her." The tears kept coming and they just stared. "This is all my fault..."

    "Samantha, let's talk about this in my office," Joey suggested, resting his hands on my shoulders in a comforting way. I shook them off. "Sam."

    "You all are cowards. You've been in here for what three days and haven't even came up with one lead?" I asked, holding down the tears for good. No one has ever really seen me cry outside of my family. I don't know why I thought now was a good time to start.

    "And what? If you had, you'd have one?" Doug asked. He rose to his feet, his fists balled up.

    I wanted to shout out everything I knew. That Dani was being held hostage by the same men who ransomed or even killed the girls in my case. That they have been threatening me with my sister's life. That if I didn't destroy the only thing giving those families closure, she would be murdered herself. That her life was in my hands.

    I couldn't. I knew I couldn't because it was way too high of a risk. It angered me that he would even say something, though. I never knew I could be that infuriated in my life.

    "You know what, Doug?" I asked, taking a step towards him in fury. Joey stuck his arm out, building a barrier between us, but I pushed him away. "If she dies, her blood is on your hands. And so help me God, I will not let that go until you lay six feet under just like her."