Chapter Seven -- FIVE DAYS AGO 6:37 AM

Samantha's P.O.V.

    Ever since the call I got and heard Dani's voice, I couldn't stop worrying. All I wanted was to find who was hurting her and put them in prison for many years to come. She was terrified. I can't even imagine, and I don't want to imagine, what they could be doing to her. What if they...

    I stayed up until three in the morning trying to think of something to do that could help me figure out where she could be. Once I noticed it was three, I tried calling Alan, but he wasn't answering. Both nervous and suspicious, I wondered where he was for another hour, then fell asleep.

    I jolted up out of bed and was in the kitchen before Alan could take off his shoes. The sound of the door shutting awoke me. He was standing there in his clothes from yesterday. I crossed my arms and stared at him coldly.

    "Where were you? I waited for you all night," I complained. His eyes were a dark shade of blue and he had bags under them. He looks exhausted. "Were you...are you?"

    "Sam," he sighed, placing his head in his hands, massaging his temples.

    "You are, aren't you?" I started to panic.

    He waved his hands in the air like he was telling me to stop and calm down. His hands were shaking when they grabbed mine and he kissed them.

    "I promise you, that is not true," he says, pulling me into an embrace. I don't hug back.

    "Where were you then?"

    "Out with a guy from work. I told you that yesterday."

    I knitted my eyebrows together in confusion. Why would he be out all night with his "work friend" and not even call to check in with me so I wouldn't worry.

    "What's his name?" I asked, trying to catch him red-handed.

    "Daniel...Murphy," he answered, hesitating.

    I narrowed my eyes and stomped to the room, grabbing an outfit and hopping in the shower. Quickly, I washed my hair and body and got out. I didn't want to speak with him until he wants to tell the truth. Whenever that is, I'll listen.

    "Sam, listen," he pleaded, catching my hand as I walked by. I pulled it away from him and walked straight out the front door. Then, I left to work, hoping he wouldn't bother me.

    The whole ride, my phone kept going off, either with calls or texts from Alan. I wanted to pick up and tell him to stop bothering me, but I couldn't. I was too angry to answer the phone.

    "Samantha," Joey called as soon as I walked inside the station. "Can I speak with you for a moment."

    I nodded before following him to his office. Nervous I sat down, and took several deep breaths before asking what it was he needed.

    "I wanted to talk to you about what happened yesterday," he started. My stomach turned. "We all think Alan is a sweet guy and all, but with what was going on yesterday, I think it's best if we ask him not to come into the station for awhile."

    I instantly agreed. We didn't need distractions even if Alan was right about Doug.

    "Can I just say something about Doug, though?" I asked.

    He encouraged me to go on.

    "He isn't even working 24/7, and he should be. I think that's what Alan was upset about."

    "Ah, yes, I'll speak with him, no worries, Samantha," he assured, patting my shoulder as he lead me out to my office. He mumbled something as he walked across the room to Doug's office who was sleeping with a half-eaten donut hanging out of his mouth.