Chapter Twenty-Two -- TWO MONTHS LATER

Danielle's P.O.V.

        I run my fingers across the material of the dress I wear. I see it fits me perfectly as I look at myself in the mirror, admiring it. It ends just about my knees and has a halter-top. I didn't want to have to wear it when I saw it in the stores, but I have to. It would be weird if I wore any other color than black.

    Within me, I know I can be strong for this, for all the other girls. It's just hard to face their parents. I know what they are thinking; I would think the same if another girl lived and my daughter didn't. This is all I can do for them. I can't give them their daughter back, but I can give them peace.

    A knock on the wooden door brought me out of my thoughts and back to reality. I slightly jump, I do when I hear any noise, but I'm getting better at it. My doctor, Dr. Abbey, told me to remember where all of them are. They can't get to me.

    Carson was sentenced to death -- which I'm still debating if I'm happy about that or not. I want him to suffer like all the others and I did. Then, I remember the fact that he is most likely in hell.

    Garrett and Eric were not punished as bad as Carson if you think death is worse them two life sentences in a maximum state prison. Truly, I think they got the worse of it.

    "You ready?" Sammie asks softly.

    I shake my head, worried about how everyone will think about me once they see me. I haven't been out in public since I left the hospital. All my doctors visit me.

    Sammie asks me why and I answer, "Look, I tried to cover it all with makeup, but it just isn't going to go away... What if it never does?"

    I lightly trace over the marks on my neck that were left by Carson's hands as he choked me on the side of the road. Most of my bruises and cuts are gone, but the cuts left scars and the places where I hit my head in the crash and when Carson hit it when he first kidnapped me are still highly noticeable. I don't want them to be there forever, or I will never forget what happened to me and the people I love. They will never forget.

    "El, you are beautiful. Don't let anyone tell you different. Besides with what you are doing with this memorial for these girls, you are becoming a strong, optimistic icon for many others. Trust me, you'll be fine," Sam replies, kissing me on my forehead. A smile crosses my face. She's right, she always is.

    I ride with Sam over to the City Park, rehearsing my lines for my speech. There isn't much to it, but it's all I got. They're lucky I'm saying anything -- I absolutely hate talking in big crowds. Well, I used to hate it. I wonder how bad it will be now, ten times worse?

    I don't realize we are parked and Sam is already out of the car until she knocks on my window, waving to me in a 'earth to Dani' type of way.

    Already shaking, I trot over to the center of the memorial. Three hundred. Three hundred and four girls altogether were taken by those three men. One hundred and eighty-nine of them were murdered. I was one of the lucky one hundred and fifteen that made it out alive. How do I talk to those that have lost one of the girls? Will they try to talk to me?

    There is a large crowd of many different people. To my left is a section for all the girls who could make it here to today and their families. Be side it is a little stage for me. Before I know it, I'm at the podium, my heart beating so fast I think it might explode. My new life, anxiety.

    "H-hello," I stutter. Everyone stops talking and looks up at me, intensifying the fear within me. Suddenly, I feel someone beside me and look up to see Tyler. He smiles as he takes my hand, squeezing it in reassurance.

    I start again, feeling slightly more confident.

    "Good afternoon, everyone. I am extremely glad you could make it here today to recognize those who have fallen and those who were lucky enough to get another chance. I don't know if many of you know my story of what happened to me, but even if you do, I'm going to be telling it again. I was abducted one night when I was out with my boyfriend, Tyler. No one expected it, but who can? So, for a week, I was tortured and used as leverage to get my sister, Detective Samantha Athens, to destroy any evidence she had collected during her time on this case and any from the police stations from towns away from our own. Although it is difficult to give up someone you love for someone you don't even know, my sister decided she had to save more than just one life, and didn't destroy the box. I, personally, am extremely happy she didn't. I couldn't let anyone else be hurt by them. I would have rather died then let any other family go through one of their own children's death. Anyway, it turned out I knew the man who did all this. I only met him once, but he was my soon-to-be brother-in-law's brother. Carson was his name, and not only was it him, but my brother-in-law himself was there. The only difference was, Alan did not harm anyone. He met with his brother one day for lunch and was threatened by his brother to try and get my sister to give in to his plan of destroying all the evidence there was. That wasn't Alan's goal. He only wanted to keep my sister and me safe. He promised me that he wouldn't let me die if it was the last thing he did, and that's exactly what he did. I am alive and standing here because of him.

So that there is basically my whole story. I wanted all of you to know, Alan never hurt anyone of these girls. But moving on. Everyone, welcome to the Lost Loved Ones of St. Louis County. Let's take a moment of silence to remember those who were lost and those who were lucky enough to receive a second chance."

After I learn how to breathe again and no longer have to speak to parents and other girls, I sneak away while they had another speaker. The whole speech I was shaking and speaking out of breath, but I still made it through. I am proud of myself. Although I could still stay for several more hours, I just want to go home.

    As I walk along the side of the wall full of the girls' names who had passed, I silently pray for their friends and family, hoping this will give them some type of closure. Finally, I join my family at the last name on the wall.

    "Ready, Dani?" Dad asks with a comforting smile.

    I nod, and Tyler entwines our hands together, careful with my still healing fingers. Before we walk away, I say, "Actually, I'll meet you guys at the car. I forgot something."

    Sammie and Dad nod, but Tyler doesn't move, eyeing me worriedly. Sammie then calls him over and they make their way to the car, Sam whispering in Ty's ear.

    I walk back over to the last name on the wall and run my finger across it, a tear skipping down my cheek. Smiling, I whisper, "Thank you, Alan."