Skin deep

Max X Papyrus

Undertale AU

(Max's POV)

Tears fell from my face as I left Toriel's house. It pained me to leave her but I want to go home, back above ground. I kept walking onward through the forest. I saw a twig in the ground so I stepped over it, it was basically a small tree and I would never want to break it. As I kept walking I heard the snap of a branch. I looked down at my feet and saw nothing. I slowly turned and saw the twig I passed earlier snapped in half. Panicked I picked up my pace until I came a a big gate like structure. I heard footsteps right behind me and I could feel them right behind me as well.

"Don't you know how to greet a new friend? Turn around and shake my hand."

I turned slowly, I don't want to be killed because I didn't listen. I saw the hand out so I put my hand out and grabbed it. The fart sound from a whoopie cushion went off.

"What the?" I started.

"Haha the old whoopie cushion in the hand trick, works every time. The name's Sans, Sans the skeleton." Sans said.

I stared at him in shock. A talking skeleton, not the weirdest thing I've seen here but definitely up there.

"You're a human aren't you? You should meet my brother, he's a human fanatic. He should be up ahead, don't worry my brother made the gate bars too wide and now anyone can go past." Sans said pushing me along.

We came to an opening where there was a lamp in the middle of the opening.

"My brother Papyrus should be here any minute. Oh look at that! there he is, quick behind that conveniently shaped lamp." Sans said.

I went behind the lamp and waited.

"Sans!" Papyrus shouted.

"Sup bro?"

"You know what sup? Brother! Still been eight days and you still haven't... recalibrated. your. puzzles! You just hang around outside your station! What are you even doing?!?" Papyrus shouted.

"Staring at this lamp. It's a neat lamp don't you think? Take a close look at it." Sans said.

"No!! I don't have time for that!! What if a human comes through here!?! I want to be ready!!! I will be the one! I must be the one! I will capture a human! Then, I, the Great Papyrus... will get all the things I utterly deserve! Respect... recognition... I will finally be able to join the royal guard! People will ask, to, be my, friend? I will bathe in a shower of kisses every morning." Papyrus monologued.

"Maybe this lamp can help you." Sans said.

"Sans!! You are not helping! You lazybones! All you do is sit and boondoggle! You get lazier and lazier every day!" Papyrus shouted.

"Take it easy bro. I got a ton of work done today... a skele-ton." Sans said.

"Oh my god Sans." I whispered to myself.

"SANS!!" Papyrus whined.

"Oh come one, you're smiling and you know it."

"I know... and I hate it. Why does someone like me have to do so much for recognition?"

"Wow. Looks like your working yourself... down to the bone." Sans said.

"Ugh!!! I'll be working on my puzzles... as for your work? Put a little more BACKBONE into it!!!!! Nyehehehehehehehehe!!! Heh!!" Papyrus said running off.