Dangerous

Preston X Adam

You guess the AU 😏

(Adam's POV)

The road ahead of me was clear of any cars. The night sky made everything dark and hard to see. Thankfully my car's headlights lit the way ahead of me. Late day at the offices meant a late night drive home. I heard my phone buzz from a text. There was nobody in front of me so I took a quick glance down to see what it said.

'Alesa: I'll bring Mason to you at the end of the weekend if your okay with that or do you want him when we planed it?'

I put my phone down and looked back up at the road. There was a split second where I saw something right in front of me. My first instinct was brake then swerve to get out of its way. As the figure came closer and closer my window of time to avoid it grew smaller. I braked at the last second but still hit it sending it a few feet in front of me.

"Shit! Shit shit shit shit shit!"

I put my car in park and got out. I ran to whatever I hit. It was too dark to tell completely, but whatever I hit had four legs, a tail, and it was roughly the size of a normal dog. I began to frantically look around for anything to help me or at least give me an idea of what to do. I was in the middle of nowhere, just outside of the town, surrounded by nothing but trees.

"Fuuuuck. What do I do? What do I do?"

I heard a whimper come from in front of me. I looked down and saw the animal I hit was still alive, but in an immense amount of pain. I crouched down and scooped up the creature in my arms. This animal was big, about as big like a fully grown golden retriever and probably as heavy as one too. I slowly made my way to my car and put the injured animal in my car. I got into the drivers seat and sped home to figure out what to do with the poor thing.

The entire ride was filled with soft whimpers of pain. With every whimper, guilt and sorrow grew more and more inside of me. I knew I shouldn't have been on my phone while driving what was I thinking! I pulled into my driveway and put the car in park. I stepped out and went for the animal. I scooped it into my arms once more and carried it into my front room. Thankfully I still had an old dog bed and placed the animal there. I turned a light on to make whatever the animal was more distinguishable. Once the lights flickered on I knew exactly what I hit.

A wolf.

I knelt down next to it and looked for any serious injuries I may have caused it. I saw nothing out of the ordinary except for the way the wolf had its front left leg. I touched it very lightly and the poor wolf whimpered loudly out of pain. I let go immediately and went to find some bandages that would be suitable for animals. Once I found the bandage wrap I went back to the wolf and started to wrap it's front left leg where I assumed it was hurting. After I finished I backed up and looked at the wolf. It laid on the dog bed in pain presumably still, eyes closed, and steady breathing which meant everything is okay for now. I walked to my kitchen and opened a cabinet, reaching for any bottle of alcohol preferably the stronger kinds. I grabbed a bottle and went to my room to forget tonight.

(The next morning)

I crawled out of bed and made my way to my shower. I had given myself a pounding headache from drinking last night and I hoped a shower would make it go away. After the shower, which made the headache a little better, I went to check on the wolf to see if it was able to stand up and go back to the woods. I turned the corner from the hallway that lead to the front room and kitchen. I flicked the light switch up and when the lights went on I saw the dog bed was empty.

"Hey. Lookin' for me?"

I turned and saw a man laying on one of the couches. He had light brown colored hair and beard. He was a big guy almost like me and he had what I would guess is a mixed accent from southern cowboy type and modern city person. I looked at his left arm, which I was hoping had nothing wrong with it, but he had a makeshift sling on it.