Prologue

The doctor checked up on Nia's condition. It had gotten worse than before. She was blazing hot. I was very worried about Nia. Ever since our parents passed away, Nia was my only sibling that I could count on. I didn't want to lose her. She was my Sunlight of Hope.

     "Lynessa, I'm afraid I can't help with your sister's condition. She only has a couple of hours to live. I'm very sorry," the doctor said with a sad expression.

     Tears dripped from my face. I tried to wipe them off, but my hands were numb after hearing the doctor's words. He gave a pat on my back, comforting me. I thanked the doctor for the help he could do. Before going to sleep, I kissed Nia on the forehead as a goodnight kiss.

The Next Morning

     I decided to prepare breakfast and tidy Nia's room while waiting for her to wake up. While tidying, I found one of Nia's drawings. It was a drawing of two sisters, resembling both of us.

Cute.

Happy.

Lovely.

Those words came into my mind as I held the drawing. This was her very first drawing that she showed to me. It was a moment that I couldn't forget.

After a while, Nia finally woke up. The look on her face surprised me a bit. However, I tried to smile.

     "Good morning, Nia! Did you sleep well?" I asked, followed by a cheering smile.

     "Sis, I had a dream last night," Nia answered, "but there was something wrong."

     "Huh? What's wrong?" I questioned with hesitation.

     "Mom and Dad were there, but you weren't there, Sis. Mom said that you didn't belong there. Why? Why did Mom say that?" Nia cried as she held her teddy bear tightly.

     "Don't worry, Nia. It's just a dream," I replied, "Sis will always be here for you. Protecting you from danger."

     She hugged me, never wanting to let go. I added, "Once you get better, I promise I will take you to your favourite place."

     "Thank you, Sis. You are the only one who can make me happy," she said.

Impracticable promises.

Painful lies.

I told them all, just to see the last moments of her smile.

Later That Night

     "Sis, Mom and Dad are here. They are coming to pick me up," Nia whispered.

     "Huh?? What are you talking about, Nia?" I asked with confusion.

     "They're coming to pick me up. I feel so relieved," she said, "Sis, can I tell you something?"

     "Tell me what, Nia? What are you saying? It doesn't make any sense!" I exclaimed.

     "Please, Sis. Live on and stay alive."

Those were her final words before letting out her last breath. I lost my parents. Now I lost my sister. Why am I the only one alive? Why do I have to struggle this alone? It's just not fair!

Author's Note:

Hey ya'll. How ya like the first bit? ;3 I know it seems kinda long. This is actually my first time writing on Wattpad. Hopefully I'll update the next one soon. Anws, thanks for reading.

Ciao ^3^