17. irl

Evan drove to Jasper's house and parked in the driveway. He didn't knock, Dustin told him the door was unlocked. He entered the dark house without hesitation.

"Go away, Dusty!" came Jasper's voice. Evan could hear that it was hoarse. It broke his heart to think that she had been crying.

"Not Dustin," he called back. "Jas, where are you?"

There was a brief silence and Evan wondered if Jasper was even going to answer. Then a small, broken voice replied, "Living room."

Jasper was wrapped up in a blanket on her couch, staring at the TV that wasn't even on. She had the lights in the house off and the shades drawn. But even in the dark, Evan could see Jasper's glossy eyes and red tear stained cheeks.

"What are you doing here?" she asked. "Aren't you supposed to be getting ready to leave tomorrow?"

"I was talking to the cast before I came over," Evan explained. "They're going to tell Ryan I'm staying for a while longer. Besides I don't have too big of a part this year, it's no big deal."

Evan crossed the living room and sat down at the end of the couch. Jasper curled her legs so he could sit then placed them back on his lap.

"Have you left this living room recently?"

Jasper shook her head.

"Have you been on social media?"

Jasper shook her head.

"Well that's a shame, because if you were you'd see the comments and tweets from fans defending you."

"I'd also see all the shit Emma is spewing about me," Jasper muttered. "Did you know she's calling me a homewrecker? She said she's gotta keep Dave away from me because I'll probably steal him too."

"That's a crock of horse shit!" Evan snapped, scaring Jasper. "Jas, you know you did nothing wrong. She's the reason we've broken up and gotten back together so many times. She's the one who cheated on me. The only thing you did was be there for me when she hurt me. She knows she's in the wrong and she's trying to make herself seem like the bigger person by putting everyone else down. You're better than her, Jas and everyone knows it. The fans, the cast, me."

Jasper lifted her head just enough to look at Evan.

"I guess you're right."

Evan smiled. "I'm always right."

Jasper chuckled and hit Evan with a nearby pillow. Evan laughed as well, happy to see a smile on Jasper's face.

"Hey Evan," Jasper said.

"Yeah Jas?"

"If you're staying a while longer, will you be my date to Dustin and Natalia's wedding in two weeks?"

Evan smiled as his heart fluttered. He never thought Jasper would ever ask him on a date, even if she probably only meant it as a friendly date to her brother's wedding.

"I'd love to."

Jasper's heart was fluttering now and her stomach was full of butterflies. He said yes! Maybe things were going to start looking up for her.